Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a boost Pike RC 150mm (Charger 2 with the newest upgraded debonair air shaft) on a HD3. I weigh about 135lbs and have always found the this particular fork very harsh no matter what LSC/LSR settings I use. I already use as low pressure in the air chamber as I can before mid-stroke support becomes non existent.

If I want to improve my ride experience, my question is: Do I put an Avalanche damper in this fork or do I move on to something like the Manitou Mattoc? In the end, the price is probably equivalent assuming I sell the Pike to offset the cost of a Mattoc.

I have had one shock (and will send another this winter) tuned by Avalanche, so I know they do great work. I'm just not totally convinced my issues with the Pike are on the damper or air side or both? My thinking on the Mattoc is that it has a superior damper to the Pike and if I get the IRT, I'll have more tuning capability on the air side. What do you think?

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
It really comes down to what you want from your riding style and terrain. But really comparing an Avy damper to the HC97 is not really an apples to apples comparison as you are talking about a completely different damper that has been custom tuned to your riding style and needs vs. the aftermarket valving system of the stock damper that adds more functionality.

Would either be a bad investment, probably not. Would either be better or worse than the Mattoc Pro with IRT/IVA that is hard to determine as that all comes down to the riders preferences.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had kind of forgotten about the HC97. I have read that thread, and for some reason that I've now forgotten, I didn't think it would be a good alternative for me. I'll have to go back and re-read that thread.

I've internally debated damper change vs coil upgrade for some time now and just not confident I know where my problem lies. I definitely don't want to spend the money (and added weight) of both. Might as well get a completely new fork....which led me down the Mattoc path.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
You might be in that weight range that a coil would pose some problems. Why not give PUSH a call and talk with them about what's going on and see what their recommendations are.

With your concern about weight of coil.... why? While coil will add some weight to the overall weight of the bike it does not add rotational weight, which is normally where weight increases are noticed most. So unless you do long, multi-hour climbs, you are not likely to notice the weight difference while riding. Hell just this year I went from a 150/130 trail bike that weight in at about 31# to a 160/145 trail/enduro bike that weights right about 37#. Biggest difference that I noticed was not the weight gain but rather the travel and how much FASTER the bike is. While I am not light at about 190# kitted, I am by no means a clyde.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might be in that weight range that a coil would pose some problems. Why not give PUSH a call and talk with them about what's going on and see what their recommendations are.

With your concern about weight of coil.... why? While coil will add some weight to the overall weight of the bike it does not add rotational weight, which is normally where weight increases are noticed most. So unless you do long, multi-hour climbs, you are not likely to notice the weight difference while riding. Hell just this year I went from a 150/130 trail bike that weight in at about 31# to a 160/145 trail/enduro bike that weights right about 37#. Biggest difference that I noticed was not the weight gain but rather the travel and how much FASTER the bike is. While I am not light at about 190# kitted, I am by no means a clyde.
I'm not very concerned about weight. I was being a little facetious that doesn't come across over forums. I am much more concerned about spending $800 on a $500 fork to make it work properly (based on the possibility of requiring both damper and coil upgrades). The additional +2lbs of added weight would just be a turn of the knife on top of the cost...which I was trying to make light of. If I could make this fork feel substantially better at the cost of +1lb, I would jump on it.

Sure would be nice to be able to demo stuff like damper/coil upgrades, but I know that's not practical.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I'm not very concerned about weight. I was being a little facetious that doesn't come across over forums. I am much more concerned about spending $800 on a $500 fork to make it work properly (based on the possibility of requiring both damper and coil upgrades). The additional +2lbs of added weight would just be a turn of the knife on top of the cost...which I was trying to make light of. If I could make this fork feel substantially better at the cost of +1lb, I would jump on it.

Sure would be nice to be able to demo stuff like damper/coil upgrades, but I know that's not practical.
Ah ok I getcha...
You are correct that would definitely make it a bit more "understandable" but demoing stuff like that is hard and few and far between. The Mattoc Pro would be an awesome fork but would it be drastically different than what you are having with your Pike? That is really hard to say. I would still hazard a call to PUSH to see what their recommendations are (hell could be something as easy as a shim stack tune on the rebound)

Other option, and just throwing something out there, go find one of the ShockWiz rentals and run that for a week. I have been lucky enough to borrow a buddies and it really does help. I was ready to toss my Lyrik in the trash but now that I have been doing some tuning with it, it has definitely become a better fork.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.