Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help me, I'm in a quandary! Is it smarter to replace 2 worn chainrings, vs. replacing an entire chainset (for approximately the same $$$)?

After 12 months use (and 4 chains) both inner chainrings on my Truvativ Stylo 3.3 crankset are worn-out and need replacement. I mean, the 22T & 32T rings have a pronounced "shark's fin" profile, and my (brand-new) chain skips badly under load, when engaged on either of the inner rings. What's more, the 44T ring isn't in a whole lot better shape either. OK, I'm aware that sometimes I've neglected to replace chains until their links have stretched beyond the ideal limit, so I acknowledge I've contributed to the worn chainrings.

Anyway, I'm a bit rusty on this topic, so here's my questions:
  • Where do I get replacement chainrings to fit the Stylo?
  • SRAM? ActionTec? Surly? CrankBros? Middleburn? Blackspire?
  • Are aftermarket chainrings any more durable than the OEM ones?
  • What about steel chainrings?
  • Alternatively, should I cut my losses and purchase a whole new crankset (probably not much dearer than chainrings alone)?
Bear in mind that aside from this chainring issue, I've needed to overhaul regular GigaPipe bottom-bracket some 5 times already, until finally solving the problem with a ceramic BB (that is awesome by the way).

Ideas welcome!!

Edit: Just found this ringset. I wonder if it would fit the Stylo arms??

·
Registered
765 Posts
Since you already have a ceramic BB my answer is not so cut and dry. With no ceramic BB in the picture I would say junk em and go for a Shimano xt hollow tech 2, with the understanding that the BB will eventually go out and can be replaced with a new chris king. My favorite chain rings have been black spire by far, there really durable. My next favorite are Shimano. The new shimano SLX cranks might be a good alternative to XT if the xt are too spendy. For the granny gear, if you use it much at all and are not a weight weenie a stainless steel one is probably in order.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I found it cheapest to buy the lower end Shimano cranks (M440s?) with removeable rings, and then use these on my existing LX & Deore cranks. You can usually get the set for around $US30-$35. These come with steel rings and seem to last well. You also have the added benefit that you can also sell the new unused cranks for ~$20, so they rings are very cheap. Friends have done the same thing with Truvativ cranks (although not the Stylos) so I assume most cranks with the same BCDs will work.

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.