Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an old Giant Rainier that's been sitting mostly idle for a few years. The frame and Marzocchi Bomber fork are in great shape and I love the old warhorse but it needs a complete drivetrain replacement. I'm replacing the derailleurs, casette, chain, and shifters with Shimano XT (maybe with some SLX mixed in) but I'm at a loss regarding the chainrings. They're utterly destroyed (missing teeth etc.) and I'd like to throw some replacement chainrings on there and replace the entire crankset and bottom bracket at a later date ($65 for the chainrings vs $190 for the crankset + $30 for a bottom bracket + about $30 worth of tools). However, I have no idea whether the Shimano 3x10 XT chainrings will fit on my old crappy OEM cranks or not. How can I figure out whether I can continue to use my old cranks for a while?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, the SLX is $162 on Amazon, chainreactioncycles.com has it for about $133 but that's still twice as much as replacing the chainrings. Would you recommend replacing the crankset to keep things simple?

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
Thanks! Unfortunately 74 GBP is still $125 but it's a good enough deal, calling Jenson today.
Make sure you change the destination to the US and the currency to USD. The over all price will be a little cheaper because Europe pays a Value Added Tax (VAT) that doesn't get charged with US delivery. Price with out VAT is around $101.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Make sure you change the destination to the US and the currency to USD. The over all price will be a little cheaper because Europe pays a Value Added Tax (VAT) that doesn't get charged with US delivery. Price with out VAT is around $101.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
Aaaaaah... Duuuuuh...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everybody! I managed to piece together an XT groupset other than an SLX crankset, a Ritchey WCS stem & seatpost, and new handlebars & grips for just over $500. Sure beat what I was seeing on Craigslist for the same price. It's an old frame but spent several years hardly being ridden and should have another few years of life in it. The fork is actually an EXR Air, not a Bomber, so it's a 100mm open bath air fork which isn't great but will do for some XC until I can invest in a new frame & fork. Next up I will be asking how to service that fork :) The bike is stripped down and I'm waiting for a box of goodies from Ribble. I will post pictures of the build, thanks everyone for the advice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts