Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna get an '04 5 Spot powder coated pretty soon and have to tear down the frame before I take it in. The Turner site says:
It is easy to damage the bushings in this process so it is advised only to do this in order to remove them for replacement with new bushings.
Should I order replacement bushings from Turner just in case or just be very careful?

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
I can never hurt to replace them, but you might not have to. I pulled my 03 Spot apart last year to get it re-finished and they looked good, I replaced them anyway. Now I have spares just in case I do something stupid - like when I accidentally scratched one while fiddling with the 5-Pack rockers.

As an added bonus to replacing the bushings -- the new pivot/bushing kit has the rear traingle pivot shafts with the groves in them - making it easier for grease to pass through when you lube the horst pivots.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The bushings are actually pretty tough, and if you tap them out carefully they can definitely survive to fight another day. That said, it really depends on how many miles are on them whether or not you should replace them. Since the bike is an '04, you may as well put new ones in and be done with it for another bunch of years.

·
Registered
356 Posts
LBmtb picked up my 04 5Spot and since last spring [May06] it has hardly been used because of the addition of the Highline and RFX to the quiver. But like TS has said might as well get it over with since you're going to have it striped down and re-powdered.
Enjoy and welcome to the board mang!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Definitely don't toss the old ones, but label them in bags so you know which pivots they came out of. The bushings from the pivot near the bottom bracket see by far the most wear, so those are the only ones which are really suspect. The others may still have a decade of use in them. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.