Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, might be a stupid question, but hopefully you guys can help. I have a 2012 Nomad, and I'm assuming that's the 2.0, but for some reason can't verify that.

The reason I want to know is because I was thinking of replacing the bearings and bushings and wanted to get the right kit. There's a pro pack with bushings, bearings, axels, etc… and they have kits for both Nomad 1.0 and Nomad 2.0.

With that all said, would you guys recommend replacing all this stuff, or just clean and repack with grease? I've put a lot of hard miles on the bike. I've used it at times and my DH bike, some XC, and a lot of FR stuff. Dry weather, wet and muddy weather… good ol' Pacific Northwest stuff :) The bike gets a lot of use all year, and I've done the cleaning and flushing with new grease periodically, but thought it might be time to just replace all those moving parts. Santa Cruz says they have a lifetime warranty on bearings, but that only means I can send them in to them and they send me back some new ones. I figured I'd go ahead and do that, but having a new kit so I can continue riding while waiting might be a good idea.

Thanks for the info guys!

·
2,619 Posts
Call Santa Cruz and tell them your bearings are shot. They'll send you new ones thanks to their lifetime bearing warranty.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured I'd send them in and get replacements but I know that can take a while, so I was going to get another kit of bearings. Just wasn't sure if the 2012 is the 1.0 or 2.0. I'm fairly certain it's 2.0, but was hoping somebody here knew for sure.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
2012=2.0
Easy to tell if your bearings/axles need replacement.
Remove the shock and cycle the suspension to check for grinding and clicking. Should be smooth and "friction free."
Make sure that all your pivot points are adjusted to spec. Riding with sloppy pivots and slop in the system can kill bearings quicker than water and mud.
When pivots and bearing preload are properly adjusted, there should be no knocking and no side to side play in the suspension along with no creaking when pedaling.
Do the following if you haven't been doing it already:
Tech Tuesday: Adjust the Pivot Bearings on Any Santa Cruz VPP Suspension - Pinkbike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts