Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 Enduro has begun to crack at the weld where the seat tube is welded on to the seat mast. Specialized is proposing to crash warranty my 03 Enduro with an 05 Stumpjumper. This will be the 3rd Enduro frame I've broken (an 00, an 01 and now an 03). They've all failed at the same spot. It appears the new Stumpjumer's frame will address that problem.

For the sake of clarity I:
- weigh 210 lbs.
- have a 5" Z1 FR SL
- ride rhyno-light rims with 2.3" continental vertical pro-tec tires
- don't freeride or urban (the biggest drops I do are generally around 1', and are part of the trail - though I don't shy away from small jumps) most of my riding I would describe as aggressive x-c on rough unfrequently used east-coast trails (ie lots of roots and rocks)

I'm a little worried of taking the downgrade to 120mm of travel from 130mm of the Enduro.

So my question is: are there any other riders who have gone from an Enduro to a Stupjumer who could comment on the move? Also, if anyone has a similar profile as me (riding style and weight) and rides the Stumpjumper, could you let me know what it rides like.... and if you think it'll hold up to my riding style

I have two other options I'm contemplating:
1. is to have the crack on my current bike welded by a pro and add a reiforcement gusset where it usually breaks or
2. buy a Santa Cruz Heckler frame and spv style shock.

comment, thoughts and suggestions welcome....

Thanks and happy trails....

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
Won't Specialized replace your frame w/ a new 05 base model (same as the one you have ) ?
Maybe the interupted seat tube ain't for you? I have an 02 enduro that I'm still happy with & would prefir the same if/when it breaks. Course haven't ridden a new stumpy yet, maybe try it, I'm sure it'd sell fast if you didn't want it.

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
I was talking about this very thing with the manager at my LBS (Bicycle Warehouse in Vista, SoCal) and he said the new Stumpies would be a perfect replacement. I mentioned how I was glad I got my '04 Enduro Expert when I did, as Specialized totally re-did the upper class Enduro models for '05. He said that an '05 Stumpy would work well--and I'm a Clyde at 5'10", 235 lbs.

I test rode one for awhile and it felt pretty sweet. Granted a parking lot test ride can't say much, but it took curbs and parking lot median jumps just fine. Now this is just my opinion, but I would suggest test riding a Stumpy for youself and see what you think. Plus, 10mm of travel wouldn't be that noticeable.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I ride an 03 enduro and got a chance to ride an 05 stumpy recently with thoughts of getting one. Some things I noticed.....

Stumpy is lighter. I could feel it on short sprint type climbs up little rough sections but that was about it.

Travel was negligible, I couldn't tell a difference.....plus both bikes had talas forks.

The one thing that made me happy to keep my enduro was the front triangle stiffness. This was also something I noticed with my 00 enduro compared to the new design. The monocoque mainframe of the 02,03,04 enduros is much stiffer between the bottom bracket and headtube. Leaning hard into turns with good traction, the stumpy felt a lot more rubbery than my enduro.

I was actually kind of bummed because the stumpys do look so damn slick.

If it were me, I'd get the older style frame.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Wow, I would love that offer. I have an 02 Enduro Pro that I love but it's too much bike for the trails I ride. Personally I would jump on an offer for a more xc-oriented bike.

Lou.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I have an 03 Enduro and an 05 Stumpy 100 and....

slyfink said:
My 03 Enduro has begun to crack at the weld where the seat tube is welded on to the seat mast. Specialized is proposing to crash warranty my 03 Enduro with an 05 Stumpjumper. This will be the 3rd Enduro frame I've broken (an 00, an 01 and now an 03). They've all failed at the same spot. It appears the new Stumpjumer's frame will address that problem.

For the sake of clarity I:
- weigh 210 lbs.
- have a 5" Z1 FR SL
- ride rhyno-light rims with 2.3" continental vertical pro-tec tires
- don't freeride or urban (the biggest drops I do are generally around 1', and are part of the trail - though I don't shy away from small jumps) most of my riding I would describe as aggressive x-c on rough unfrequently used east-coast trails (ie lots of roots and rocks)

I'm a little worried of taking the downgrade to 120mm of travel from 130mm of the Enduro.

So my question is: are there any other riders who have gone from an Enduro to a Stupjumer who could comment on the move? Also, if anyone has a similar profile as me (riding style and weight) and rides the Stumpjumper, could you let me know what it rides like.... and if you think it'll hold up to my riding style

I have two other options I'm contemplating:
1. is to have the crack on my current bike welded by a pro and add a reiforcement gusset where it usually breaks or
2. buy a Santa Cruz Heckler frame and spv style shock.

comment, thoughts and suggestions welcome....

Thanks and happy trails....
I weigh 220. The difference is night and day! The Enduro is stiffer and beastier all over! I use my Stumpy for XC and Epic rides and it works great, but for the really rough stuff I go with the Endo hands down! I road a Stumpy 120 before I bought the 100. The 120 isn't any stiffer, same frame accross the Stumpy line, just more travel with the 120 is all, and DEFINATELY lighter than the Enduro and less heavy duty as a result. While I don't think you'd have problems with the seat mast with the Stumpy, I'm not so sure about the bike being suited to your riding style. I know if it was my Endo that was cracked I'd be holding out for the new style Enduro frame, or at least a replacement that was comparable like the 05 Enduro 130 or the Comp 130. At least you'd be getting the beefier frame even though it is the same design as the 03. I personally wouldn't recommend the Stumpy 120 as a replacement for your Enduro. They're just not in the same class or designed for the same type or riding.

Good Dirt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.