Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about getting a new bike, i'm more a recreational rider and I only really wanted something for trails without any big drops or enormous pieces of debris.

It had 21 gears, dual suspension and disc brakes so for under $300 it seemed a pretty good deal. Before i buy i want to know whether or not repco is a reliable brand, i dont wanna go forking over $300 for something thats gonna fall to pieces on me.

Repco Firetrail Specs: http://www.repcosport.com.au/Products/Men/Firetrail.asp

Any help is appreciated

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,183 Posts
Ralak said:
with an attitude like that your be waiting a long time :thumbsup:

As for the bike.. in all seriousness its ****. Spend your money on a hardtail which will not only be lighter but less prone to shaking apart in ten minutes. $300 will get you nothing worth riding off road.... it WILL be heavy, un- responsive, badly built and heavy.

If you were to increase your budget to just $1000 you will get a much better ride. But again.. go hardtail.. you will get more for your cash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would mostly be riding on the roads as well as some off road, not completly offroad. I want something that could handle both so the hardtail suggestion is most helpful. For brand would a mongoose or norco be good?

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
Forget that Repco. And forget cheap dual suspension bikes.

Get down to your bike shop and look at some front suspension only bikes in the same price range. You will get a better bike for your purpose, and a shop that will look after you if / when it needs service (which all bikes do sooner or later).

Those cheap Repco and other supermarket bikes APPEAR to have all the bells and whistles to the uninitiated - front and rear suspension, disc brakes etc - but the suspension is crap, the brakes are crap, and the frame is crap. It's all crap - basically there are so many compromises.

Get a similar priced bike from your local BIKE shop that has front suspension only - you might get V brakes as well, but the overall bike will be lighter, more reliable, and suit your purpose just fine.

I'm an Aussie too, BTW.

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Ralak said:
Unfortunatly those are in the USA, i'm in australia but thatnks for the help anyway
You are correct. IBEX hasn't made it to Australia yet. Sorry!

Try Avanti (http://www.avantibikes.com/home/home.aspx}. They have an extremely wide range of models available in AU & NZ. I'd consider their "Ridge Runner" a good stating point for something worthwhile off-road, though they do have some less expensive MTB models. The Avanti "Escape" and "Atomic" are borderline, but probably OK for recreational (essentially the same bike except for choice of V-brakes or discs). There is an online source for them in AU called NRG, as well as brick & mortar dealers.

Regards,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I've been doing some digging on the net and found a dealer near me called Blackman Bikes that stocks brands like giant and avanti. I was thinking of getting a Giant Upland SE or one of the boulder models. Links below.

Boulder Models

Upland Models

I only really intend to ride on roads and some light off road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.