Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent some cash making this bike rideable again about a year ago. So I would regret trading it in or selling it. But now I think that the rear shock is shot. From my reading, it is a $300-$500 bike. Probably closer to $300.

I ride mostly single track. I deal mostly with roots, smaller downed trees and baby heads. I don’t ride any man made creations. Not in my interests.

What would it cost to get a new comparable full suspension bike. The local dealer I like deals in Trek, Raleigh and Specialized.

I basically would want a lighter full suspension bike that is as good as or better than my 4 banger. The only other want is disk brakes.

Input is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Bikes have changed a lot since 2001. Their prices have increased amazingly also. Your best bet is to go to the bike store and test ride some bikes. Don't go to buy, just be patient and take your time finding what you like. The store is likely gong to try to push you to buy the first thing you test out, but you will be best off testing out as many brands as you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bikes have changed a lot since 2001. Their prices have increased amazingly also. Your best bet is to go to the bike store and test ride some bikes. Don't go to buy, just be patient and take your time finding what you like. The store is likely gong to try to push you to buy the first thing you test out, but you will be best off testing out as many brands as you can.
ya, I went to a few manufacturer web sites and was blown away by the prices on the low cost bikes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Way late on the uptake here: What is wrong with your shock (assuming you still have the 4 Banger and are interested in making it work)?

I might be able to help.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Prices went up, but so has performance. A $2000 bike now will be much better than a $4000 bike from 10 years ago. Ignoring inflation, a $1500 bike today is still much better than a $1500 bike from 2005. Prices have not gone up, especially considering inflation. People always complain about how expensive bikes are, but they have always been about the same. A base model full-suspension bike from 1997 was around $1000. You can find much better performing full-suspension bikes nowadays for less than $1500 that don't blow shocks every month, have disc brakes, adjustable air sprung suspension, and bearing pivots. I don't understand why people think bikes have gotten so much more expensive, because it just isn't true.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts