Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys repiar and modify your own bikes, or do you just take it to a shop if there uis something wrong.

The reason why I ask is because I have an intrest in the mechanical aspects of the bike(i.e fixing, modding, etc.) and wondered if it is very difficult to get into. And also where is a good starting place, and lastly, am I going to need many very expensive, specialized(not the bike) tools.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Many of us on these forums do a lot of the work on our own bikes (maintenance, build up/tear down, swap parts, etc)... If that's what you mean by 'modify'.
There are a number of actual bicycle frame manufacturers that are around the forums too, although they seem to hang out on 29er, singlespeed, passion & local forums.

So, a good starting place for figuring out how to repair stuff is searching the forums & the parktool.com repair section. MikeT's faq (http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm ) and sheldonbrown.com's DIY/repair sections are also great resources.
I'm sure other's will chime in w/ more sites.
As for tools, there's been a number of threads on the 'tooltime' forum. I've basically acquired tools as I need them, most recently getting a decent repair stand, headset installer tool & crank/BB tool for newer style cranks.
Rover Nick said:
Do you guys repiar and modify your own bikes, or do you just take it to a shop if there uis something wrong.

The reason why I ask is because I have an intrest in the mechanical aspects of the bike(i.e fixing, modding, etc.) and wondered if it is very difficult to get into. And also where is a good starting place, and lastly, am I going to need many very expensive, specialized(not the bike) tools.

·
Registered
474 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.