Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· 50 states in my 50s
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few sets of Ituo lights but my favorite is the XP3. However, I recently found it not lighting and I am looking for tips incase this is repairable.

Last year, I found the power lead into the unit pulling away from the body and I soldered that back up and it had been good again for a year. Now it does not light and what happens is that when plugged it, the power switch lights up green so power is getting through to the board, However, pressing the switch does nothing.

So either the switch has failed, there is a driver issue or power is not getting to the LEDs. Any tips? I'd really like to keep this light working....

· 50 states in my 50s
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so it looks like no one has any repair tips and I have been unable to fix this. So next question...

What would be a reasonable head replacement that can provide around 2500 true lumens and work with existing Ituo battery packs - these have the screw on round connectors?

The Glo-worm look nice but not wanting to spend that money at the moment...

· Registered
3,551 Posts
So next question...

What would be a reasonable head replacement that can provide around 2500 true lumens and work with existing Ituo battery packs - these have the screw on round connectors?

The Glo-worm look nice but not wanting to spend that money at the moment...
How were your using your XP3 (Bar or Helmet/standard optics?)?
Mole

· 50 states in my 50s
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For a long time I was using it on the bars but had recently switched to helmet use.

I still have two XP2 heads as well so I can just stick with XP2 on bar and helmet but I just loved the XP3 light output on the helmet. Looking for something similar that can light on medium (>1500 lumens for 3+ hours) with high in the mid 2000s...

· Registered
3,551 Posts
I think your best option (besides Gloworm) would be Magicshines Monteer 3500.
Magicshine® Monteer 3500S Light Head - Round Plug
This will actually be a performance upgrade over your XP3 (overall lumens and max lux). You are going to sacrifice the ability to adjust your preset output levels + the wired remote and some output consistency. Unlike the XP3 that maintains a pretty flat level of output (unless it activates its thermal protection) the Monteer degrades quite a bit from its startup output (programmed not from overheating). Sounds bad but what you end up getting is a light that starts out considerably more powerful than the XP3 that takes about 30 min. to degrade down to a similar level as the XP3 where it stabilizes. Lighthead weight is 108 grams so similar the the XP3 and while the tint is cooler its not a huge amount. I have and XP3, Gloworm XS, and the Monteer 3500 and consider them all to have fairly equal light output performance for longer rides. The Monteer comes with a Garmin compatible mount but Gopro adapters are available on the MS website for $6. Give me a minute and I'll add a link to my review of the Monteer 3500 and a link to another review by "The Sweet Cyclist" that has a discount code for 15% off from the Magicshine US website at the end of the review.
Mole

Magicshine Monteer 3500 Review

The code is TheSweetCyclists but I'll add the review link anyway in case your interested.

https://thesweetcyclists.com/magicshine-monteer-3500s-review/

· 50 states in my 50s
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info MrMole.

You said that this is a thrower in your review and that is fine for the helmet but it looks like the lens is not changeable right? So not great on the bars then if I were to get two?

As to the battery hook up? Any issues using it with the Ituo battery? Ituo uses a screw on round plug but it looks like the Magicshine is not screw on, just push fit. So is it secure?

· Registered
3,551 Posts
You said that this is a thrower in your review and that is fine for the helmet but it looks like the lens is not changeable right? So not great on the bars then if I were to get two?

As to the battery hook up? Any issues using it with the Ituo battery? Ituo uses a screw on round plug but it looks like the Magicshine is not screw on, just push fit. So is it secure?
IMO the beam of the 3500 is too narrow for MTB riding. Magicshine also makes 5000/6500/8000 lumen Monteer's that come with different emitters that would produce a wider beam but of course are more expensive. I'm sure the 5000 will have a wider beam but having never seen any beam shots or using one of these SST40 equipped lights I couldn't recommend it. I do have a 8000 lighthead that shares the same emitters as the 6500 so can comfortably say these have a great beam pattern (these usually win whatever comparison they're in and consistently get 5 star ratings). Unlike the 3500 though these more powerful versions lack enough mass and surface area to adequately cool themselves in warmer weather so their thermal protection (linear like your Ituo's) limits their stable output (3600 lumens in 80°F ambient in the case of my 8000). My guess is unless you consistently ride in very cold temps. there is probably little if any advantage to the 8000 vs. the 6500 since they have the same lighthead and emitters. Plug fit I would describe as snug using and Ituo battery and MS lighthead but I'm thinking the battery capacity is going to be a little small for good runtimes using an Ituo battery with the more powerful Monteers. 10000mAh quality cell batteries are available on ebay for around $50 (that would fit your Ituo battery bags) and work better but as the cost keeps going up I'm thinking if your wanting to limit the cost just getting the Monteer 3500 and Gopro adapter and using your XP2 on the bars might be your best option. Personally I don't find running much over 1500 lumen on the bars to be an advantage anyway.
Mole

· 50 states in my 50s
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spent 2 hours reading the 14 page thread on the Outbound Trail Evo. Interesting light....

I need to consider my new riding. I recently moved from Colorado to Wisconsin and the trail riding is very different. Before my typical night ride would be 3 to 3-1/2 hours so I wanted large batteries that could survive that run-time averaging say 1500 lumens while losing 50% of capacity in the winter. Those trails were wide and open with not many trees and flat-out runs where I could be running 30-35mph off road.

In Milwaukee it is so different. I have 18 miles of dirt single-track on my doorstep but it is through tight twisty trees in an urban setting. It's pedal-time all the time so average top speed and average speed is much closer (~10 mph). That said there is also a lot of places where I could be running bike path at 20mph as well so throw is still important, though perhaps I should consider a dedicated set for my gravel bike with a cut off as opposed to mountain bike lights....

In that long thread, I saw that you used the Monteer 3500 with the Trail Evo. That sounds like a good combination. With that, I might get the Monteer head (will cost around <$90 shipped with discount and GoPro adapter). Then I may consider the Trail Evo.

· 50 states in my 50s
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went ahead and ordered the Monteer 3500S. Hopefully that'll work out..

I went ahead and emailed Outbound as well to see if there was any possibility of ordering a Road Edition head only (for my road bike) as now I'm in a more urban setting, I really should give some consideration for light beam cut-off when bike path riding on my cross bike.. Not hopeful on that though.

· Registered
3,551 Posts
I need to consider my new riding. I recently moved from Colorado to Wisconsin and the trail riding is very different. Before my typical night ride would be 3 to 3-1/2 hours so I wanted large batteries that could survive that run-time averaging say 1500 lumens while losing 50% of capacity in the winter. Those trails were wide and open with not many trees and flat-out runs where I could be running 30-35mph off road.

In Milwaukee it is so different. I have 18 miles of dirt single-track on my doorstep but it is through tight twisty trees in an urban setting. It's pedal-time all the time so average top speed and average speed is much closer (~10 mph). That said there is also a lot of places where I could be running bike path at 20mph as well so throw is still important, though perhaps I should consider a dedicated set for my gravel bike with a cut off as opposed to mountain bike lights....

In that long thread, I saw that you used the Monteer 3500 with the Trail Evo. That sounds like a good combination. With that, I might get the Monteer head (will cost around <$90 shipped with discount and GoPro adapter). Then I may consider the Trail Evo.

I went ahead and ordered the Monteer 3500S. Hopefully that'll work out..

I went ahead and emailed Outbound as well to see if there was any possibility of ordering a Road Edition head only (for my road bike) as now I'm in a more urban setting, I really should give some consideration for light beam cut-off when bike path riding on my cross bike.. Not hopeful on that though.
Glad to hear you ordered the Monteer 3500. I mostly ride desert trials that like your old Colorado trails have long lines of sight that favor helmet lights with excellent throw like the Monteer 3500/XP3/XS & XSV. Having never ridden in the woods at night before interested to hear how this type of light adapts to that environment?

Trail EVO is a very nice light! For me it has a perfect beam pattern and all the power I would ever need. I've had very good luck with my dealings with Outbound so will be surprised if they can't get you a Road lighthead but they are a small company so sometimes availability can be an issue.
Mole

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.