Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,665 Posts
bvibert said:
Seconded. Try searching for "DIY stand" and/or "homemade stand", you'll find all sorts of ideas.
Thirded.

Personally I'm almost finished with a version of this one.

There are some interesting ideas at instructables.com, for both free-standing and bench-mounted. Probably some other DIY websites have ideas as well, but I haven't looked.

·
Ride Responsibly
1,946 Posts
LWright amazing repair stand

Old ironing board with front fork mount on one end. Might want to raise the mount up a bit with a block of wood or square tubing. about a foot long 2x4 with a v shape notched on one end and two pieces of angle iron screwed to the other, flat side outward. Nice to have slots cut into the angle iron. two carriage bolts with wing nuts to hold the 2x4 in place near the center of the ironing board. The fork goes onto the fork mount, the 2x4 adjust to cradle the bottom bracket shell. With this setup you can do most any work needed and unlike most stands, you have a built in work bench.
You can do the same on any bench or table/desk or even a board.
For a set of detailed plans send $25 in a self addressed envelope to...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
I've seen some pretty ingenious DYI repair stands, but I'm still very glad I spent my money on my Park. It's easy in and out with a bike, holds it well, and I can rotate the bike in all sorts of directions for ease of access. If it's something you're going to be using a lot, you may want to consider dropping the cash for one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't afford to buy a Park Tools unit so I built my own out of some old copper pipe and fittings that were torn out of remodels that I have worked on over the years.

I have about 4-5 hours into this and a few dollars worth of soldier,flux, and mapp gas. All of the copper is recycled. It is far from the perfect repair stand, but it will suit me fine until I can afford to run with the big dogs. I would prefer something that folded up or broke down into a smallish package, but that isn't possible with what I had to work with.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The "portable repair stand" I seem to use the most is my hitch mounted rack with support arms. Very much the same effect.

Nice sweating job on the copper fittings!

72tunaboat said:
I can't afford to buy a Park Tools unit so I built my own out of some old copper pipe and fittings that were torn out of remodels that I have worked on over the years.

I have about 4-5 hours into this and a few dollars worth of soldier,flux, and mapp gas. All of the copper is recycled. It is far from the perfect repair stand, but it will suit me fine until I can afford to run with the big dogs. I would prefer something that folded up or broke down into a smallish package, but that isn't possible with what I had to work with.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Didn't want to create a new thread, but here's my stand made out of some 2x4s, hunk-o-plywood, and various round items I had around the garage for pins/hinges/stops. Thought I'd share in case it provides some inspiration to anyone.

Sorta folds up and I have a hanger on the wall where I perch it when not in use.

I am really really glad I put this together. I can't believe how much more enjoyable it is to work on the bike with all the stuff at stomache/shoulder/eye level. Also is incredibly handy to have a small shelf for tools at arms reach while wrenching.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts