Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently warped a pair of Mavic XC717 Disc rims, as a result of a nasty crash. I understand that tacoed rims are not worth repairing. The front is bowed about a third of it's circumference, but the rear only looks like it is out of true, in a few spots. The front rolls pretty funky, but does not rub the inside of my Headshok, with 1.95 tires. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Got a spokey? Try truing the front one yourself. You've nothing to lose. You'll find it either relaxing and rewarding or tiresome and frustrating. Either way you'll find out something about yourself. Think of it as a Zen moment! :D

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Baker921 said:
Got a spokey? Try truing the front one yourself.
Maybe not a bad idea. i wrecked a rim once that the LBS declared too bad to fix. Well, after a little DIY action at home, i rode that wheel for another year or two. It was not perfectly true, but it never folded on me.

Last weekend, i totally wrecked a 717. You could see signs of stress around the valve hole, as well as other locations on the rim.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brought 'em to LBS....they all chuckled when I asked if they were repairable. Thanx, guys....

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had a bikeshop try to fix a bent sun rim on my old hardtail. He told me that it would be advisable to get another rim and he would do his best to straighten. I ended up buying a spoke tool and realizing that he did a crappy rush-job. I took the time and straightened the wheel and tried to even the tension. I'm still riding that rim on my hardtail, and that was 3 years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.