Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new fork, two tires, and may or may not be having a problem with my rear hub (can't tell if it is carbon fiber hub or just wrapped, but the CF looks like it is showing signs of fatigue). I've been shopping, and so far I'm considering the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR and a Jamis but I don't recall the specific model. If I get a new fork I'm leaning toward a Fox Float or Fox Vanilla.

My current bike is a Trek 8000 SL and was purchased used -- it is believed to be around the 1998-2000 model year range (same bright blue as the front fork). It has a Rock Shox SID 1998 front fork, Shimano Deore XT brakes front and rear, Deore LX front derailleur and crank, Shimano XTR rear derailleur, and Shimano XTR rapid fire shifters with built in brake lever. Shimano Deore XT brakes squeezing Mavic rims.

It will be real easy to drop $500 - 600 on my current bike, which is frustrating but I hate to ignore all the components and such that I already own. The Jamis I looked at was around $1200-1300 and the Stumpjumper is $1850.

The first question is really whether to fix what I have or buy new. The second becomes either a) what other forks should I look at, or b) what other bikes should I look at (that are available in southern NH)?

Thanks in advance,
~ Fred

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Do you like the Trek?

Ask yourself the acid test question and if you like the bike, sink $600 into it for a new fork, and tires. The caveat I will file here is that if the rear hub is definitely shot, then you need to reconsider. The other things to take into consideration would be the condition of the drivetrain (is it the original drivetrain, and if so, how much life is left in it) as well as the wheelset. Over time, rim brakes do have their effect on rims.

Bottom line is that you might be throwing good money after bad, and if after you buy the fork and tires the drivetrain starts to go, you quickly have repairs that will add up to the cost of the Stumpy. Lastly, while the bike you have is not ancient, technology advances in the past few years are definitely worth considering in your equation.

Best wishes in making your decision.

Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.