Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.
A couple of days ago, I found a crack on my bike. Help advice.
I can not choose the filler rod. Which is better for repair? ER70S-2 or ER80S-D2.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I cannot help you with the rod selection, I am a braze type of guy.

I would suggest to you that if you Tig this and add a strip of metal along the lower edge to add to the repair, it will add a bit of stress relief to overall repair.

Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot help you with the rod selection, I am a braze type of guy.

I would suggest to you that if you Tig this and add a strip of metal along the lower edge to add to the repair, it will add a bit of stress relief to overall repair.

Eric
I agree to the idea of adding a strip of metal. Do you mean brazing?
If brazing, then I worry a little. Does brazing not damage the weld? Melting point 1166 ° F

Sorry for my english

·
Plays with tools
4,654 Posts
First step with a production bike is to investigate your warranty options.

Assuming that's not an option, is it just a pin hole or is there a crack propagating from the hole? If it's just a hole, that's definitely a weld defect but might not ever cause a problem. It's been there since it was new, so the fact that the frame is 7 years old and it hasn't started to crack gives more reason to just keep an eye on it. Holes like that in the middle of a weld don't ever appear once the weld has solidified. They either pop up when the weld is still molten or not at all. If there is a crack along with the hole, 70s-X is a good choice. I'm not sold on the idea of adding extra material as I don't think it's a design flaw, just poor execution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...is it just a pin hole or is there a crack propagating from the hole?
70s-X is a good choice.
ok thanks, I will use 70s-X.
I made this hole myself to stop the crack.
I have no complaints about welds, they are excellent on my frame. Perhaps this is just metal fatigue, or poor design chainstay yoke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.