Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any school/companies/LBSs that offer any sort of repair or certification classes for fixin bikes? Or if there are any bike shop repairmen out there, could you fill me in on what it took to get your job? Thanks.

Z

·
Registered
779 Posts
most mechanics are trained on the spot. usually you need to put in your time as a grunt bike builder. you could pay big bucks and go to Barnetts bike school in Colorado. for just general knowledge REI has classes monthly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vdubbusrider said:
most mechanics are trained on the spot. usually you need to put in your time as a grunt bike builder. you could pay big bucks and go to Barnetts bike school in Colorado. for just general knowledge REI has classes monthly.
Thanks a lot vDub, do you know how in depth REI's classes go?

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
zRockstar said:
Thanks a lot vDub, do you know how in depth REI's classes go?
The basic classes just go into changing a flat, adjusting your derailluer, brakes, and so on. They also have an advanced bike maintainence class that goes into more detail, adjusting your hub, headset, wheels. The advance one also cost 75 bucks if your not a member and 60 if you are. Check out a local REI and find out when they usually do the classes.

Ive done the advance classes and I found it to be helpful in starting on working on your bike. I can do most of my repairs now but some Im still learning (wheel truing)

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
get cookin'

get yourself down to the Bicycle Kitchen in L.A.

It's a Co-Op for bike repair. You can do your own work with volunteers available to help. Cheap too. I think you can get an annual membership for $60 and have all tools available to you. No certifications but you'll learn quick when you DIY.

zRockstar said:
Does anyone know of any school/companies/LBSs that offer any sort of repair or certification classes for fixin bikes? Or if there are any bike shop repairmen out there, could you fill me in on what it took to get your job? Thanks.

Z

·
Was that a Bobcat?
610 Posts
Free Classes in San Diego

Trek San Diego also offers free repair and maintenence classes..... you can check out thier website @ www.treksandiego.com.

Here are the upcoming dates for these classes if interested:

Free Bicycle Repair and Maintenance Class

Saturday, May 14, 9:30am at our SAN DIEGO store

Saturday, May 21, 9:30am at our N COUNTY store

Saturday, May 28, 9:30am at our LA MESA store

Our famous hour-long classes start with all the basics you need to know to keep you on the road trouble-free, followed by a chance to get your specific questions answered. Attendance is free, and special discount coupons will be given to all who come!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.