Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· -_-
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gotta love folks who still hold the love in their heart for an old ride...

(Better yet, gotta love it when I actually remember to have my camera handy.)

That being said, I'll post whatever I can when I get the shots.

~Stuff like this always brings a smile to my face.
~Then again, I realize how long I've actually been in this game.

:thumbsup: Obi..

· -_-
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RM's not mine, but a customer's. We've a lot of people bringing around bikes to be resurrected, especially once word gets/got out that I can fix the "stuck shifter" issue. I never bothered in the past to take shots of 'em, but now that I've a decent camera, thought it would be worth documenting. Not enough people realize what they've got, and instead of reselling them, send them to the scrap pile.

· VRC Hound
4,277 Posts
My buddy recently got a near-mint 93 Blizzard from a customer at his shop. Person brought it in because the rear wheel had been damaged or stolen. We my friend told 'em that it would be around $100 or so for a new wheel, the person decided to just get a new bike. Got to love working in a bike shop.

· -_-
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time to refresh this post...

Sorry it's been so long since I added to this project, just been really busy with life lately. (Thanks Hollister for making me remember this. :thumbsup: )

Old shcool Velo City bike from back in the day. The customer says she "Still loves to ride it as much as possible!". Gotta admire that. Now outfitted and ready to keep rolling.

*Note the unique rear derailleur cable routing tube...schweett!!

~It uses Breezer dropouts, but I'm not sure of the origin on the frame, Gabe and Holland can't remember who torched it either. Any thoughts? Maybe Joe, Keith, Charlie???

Attachments

· artistic...
7,652 Posts
obionespeedonly said:
Sorry it's been so long since I added to this project, just been really busy with life lately. (Thanks Hollister for making me remember this. :thumbsup: )

Old shcool Velo City bike from back in the day. The customer says she "Still loves to ride it as much as possible!". Gotta admire that. Now outfitted and ready to keep rolling.

*Note the unique rear derailleur cable routing tube...schweett!!

~It uses Breezer dropouts, but I'm not sure of the origin on the frame, Gabe and Holland can't remember who torched it either. Any thoughts? Maybe Joe, Keith, Charlie???
i love that bike. i can understand the owner's attachment. don't you love when that happens?
i have a mikkelsen w/ the same der.. cable routing: the same welded guides in the same position.

· CampyParts
7 Posts
Hello, I noticed the Manitou Answer fork on that green bike. I have exactly the same Manitou fork. I believe its a Manitou 2 fork, but not sure. Anyways, my fork does not have any bounce anymore and I am seeking some advice on how to revive the front suspension fork. I even emailed Manitou support and they told me that they have no information on the fork and no longer support it. I was really surprised that they would say that. Anyways, I popped the caps off the top of the fork crown to look inside and its mostly air. I can see something about 2/3 of the way down, but can tell if its a nut or an allen bolt or if its able to be adjusted or disassembled? I did not want to attempt it, until I spoke to someone who knows how to service these Manitou 2 forks. I read the manuals on the newer forks and some said that special fork oil is added there. Can someone please advise me how to possibly fix the fork or point me towards a service manual? Thanks!

· Old School
1,036 Posts
Re: Manitou

campyparts said:
Hello, I noticed the Manitou Answer fork on that green bike. I have exactly the same Manitou fork. I believe its a Manitou 2 fork, but not sure. Anyways, my fork does not have any bounce anymore and I am seeking some advice on how to revive the front suspension fork.
I'd call that a Manitou I. They were built with rubber-like elastomers that go bad. They either turn into a goo-ie mess, or turn hard like a rock.

You'll need a 5mm allen to take it apart.

I use an allen on a socket with a long extension.

There was a VRC thread not long ago, where someone had access to aftermarket elastomer material that might be suitable as a replacement. Other than that post, I have not found any source for materials to revive these old/shot elastomer based forks.

I have 3 or 4 dead Manitous sitting here waiting for a reason and/or parts to fix them.

· CampyParts
7 Posts
Thank you Joe Steel and Slimboy. I realize that my fork is a Manitou 1 now, thanks to the photos you provided. The 1 is gray and silver while the 2 has a black decal. Am I correct to assume that I can take them apart easily with a loooong 5mm allen wrench, and its relatively a simple procedure to replace the elastomer parts by just fitting them on the bolts and tightening them back down? Thanks very much

-CP

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a Manitou 1 fork with polymers that are as hard as a rock. I am trying to res erect the fork and my search has bought me to this forum and this post. Slimboy - it sounds to good to be true. Do you really have replacement parts for my fork? Please let me know so I can stop looking for a total replacement fork.
Searching and searching...

· Registered
4,080 Posts
Here's a few that are on the docket.

Cannondale with Vector fork, Nuke Proof rear hub, and Power Post (!) is in for a new elastomer in the fork which is not only rock hard, but melted as well.

Next up is a Potts whose owner and I dialed in the chainline and brakes yesterday.

The Offroad is in to try to get some life back in the fork and for new elastomers in the rear.

A certain Otis Guy is here for some extra touches.

· velocipede technician
8,703 Posts
ssmike said:
Here's a few that are on the docket.

Cannondale with Vector fork, Nuke Proof rear hub, and Power Post (!) is in for a new elastomer in the fork which is not only rock hard, but melted as well.

Next up is a Potts whose owner and I dialed in the chainline and brakes yesterday.

The Offroad is in to try to get some life back in the fork and for new elastomers in the rear.

A certain Otis Guy is here for some extra touches.

has the bb spindle been swapped on the potts?(duh,and then i go a back and read)

what did you do to the otis?

nice lookin shop.(top shelf, nice fork)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.