Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to whistler next week. Is there a bike shop where I can do a 5 day rental or some sort of deal like that? I'm going to be biking every time I get the chance, but I'm also doing things like white water rafting, and zip-lining, and it would be fun to have a bike i can just cruise around the village on.

Also, I would like to be able to take this bike into the airdome and jump it into the foam (aren't some rental places weird about foam pits?)

anyone know of a good shop? I'm looking for a 8" DH bike, not Super race oriented, i prefer freeride characteristics, Giant Glory, Cove shocker, something like that.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
really don't understand the question...do you want a bike for Whistler trails and something to ride around
...or just an extra bike to ride around and jump

My theory on renting bikes.....never rent a bike...suck it up buy one or just bare down and pay for it to travel with you. My main reason...biking is a dangerous sport....when you get in a dangerous situation...something you are in trouble...familiartry with your own bike might be the extra edge to get you out of trouble....I remember borrowing a bike in Ohio and riding Mohican Forrest...I went over the bars on something I would have never done on my own bike...I didn't like the fork or the suspension set up...face it...your bike is set for your riding...a rental is set up for inexperienced riders and they are usually thrashed....always bring your own bike

·
injured reserve list
619 Posts
I agree with SMT 100%. I dont understand your question(s) and just take your own bike it'll be cheaper than a rental for 5 days, do the math.

·
Think I can make that?
98 Posts
I'm assuming you own a DH bike. If you are flying to Whistler, the cost to carry on your bike is still way less than renting for 5 days. If you are driving, there's no excuse to not bring your bike. I just looked at the WBP rates, $234 for 2 days with the Giant Glory. Shoot, even if you don't own a DH bike, Its hard to justify renting for 5 days. Just go on Craigslist and start shopping for a season old model...

As for the airdome, i bring my DH bike in there. That's the one that gets jumped the most and the airdome is the best way to learn to jump it.

Have fun, Whistler's a blast.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOl well I was tired last night, so i didn't get my questions across at all. I'm wondering if anyone knows any good shops or places to rent a bike to ride at whistler, for riding the mountain.

I can't take my own bike, unless I can get a new frame in under a week.

·
injured reserve list
619 Posts
Go shopping on Pinkbike and pick up a complete bike from someone in the Whistler area while you're there, it'll still be cheaper. And no you didn't get your q's across to many of us today either.

Your best bet is most likely to go on PB to ask your questions for renting bikes.

What happened to your frame?

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go shopping on Pinkbike and pick up a complete bike from someone in the Whistler area while you're there, it'll still be cheaper. And no you didn't get your q's across to many of us today either.

Your best bet is most likely to go on PB to ask your questions for renting bikes.

What happened to your frame?
Northstar yesterday, woke up really early, got there, linkage bolt snapped, link got driven into my frame, massive dent :(

I was super tired and bummin all day, realized i would have to rent, made this thread really late. I reread it this morning and was like "What?"

you really think its better to buy and old beat up stinky in whistler, than rent a Carbon v10 or something?

·
injured reserve list
619 Posts
you really think its better to buy and old beat up stinky in whistler, than rent a Carbon v10 or something?
No one said Mt. biking was cheap, but if you get to keep the bike at the end of the week why not just buy one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't you have a second slopestyle bike? If so, why not take that for alot of the park like crank it up, a-line, the airdome, jump park etc and just rent a dh bike for a day or two for the bigger/rougher stuff.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
Don't you have a second slopestyle bike? If so, why not take that for alot of the park like crank it up, a-line, the airdome, jump park etc and just rent a dh bike for a day or two for the bigger/rougher stuff.
if you have the money to rent a bike ...then you have the money to buy a new frame...it's that easy...get on the ball and buy one in the next 3 days

where is the dent...maybe you can still ride it

·
Registered
710 Posts
Agree with the other suggestions but if you insist in renting, Evolution Whistler has a fleet of Demo 8 updated every year and serviced on a daily basis.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm working on getting my revolt warrantied. The dent is in the downtube, right under the middle link. It sheared off some metal, and the dent ain't that deep, just looks gnarly. Ill propose the idea of buying something up there but my parents are 100% against shipping a bike. My parents are the ones that surprised me with this trip, so I'm not going to fight them. They want me to rent. I'll propose the other ideas, but I won't fight them on it. I might not do the 5 day rental thing, it was an idea.

I'm riding at least 3 days, hopefully 4. Renting 1 bike for 5 days would give me time to get used to it/adjust it for my liking.

·
Fun-O-Meter
204 Posts
I rode last Friday with a guy on a rental V10. It was clean and in great working order.

I've had friends stay from the east coast rent from evolution, and they were able to swap bikes as needed for park or trail use.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
I'm working on getting my revolt warrantied. The dent is in the downtube, right under the middle link. It sheared off some metal, and the dent ain't that deep, just looks gnarly. Ill propose the idea of buying something up there but my parents are 100% against shipping a bike. My parents are the ones that surprised me with this trip, so I'm not going to fight them. They want me to rent. I'll propose the other ideas, but I won't fight them on it. I might not do the 5 day rental thing, it was an idea.

I'm riding at least 3 days, hopefully 4. Renting 1 bike for 5 days would give me time to get used to it/adjust it for my liking.
usually bike companies will rush if you are going to Whistler..tell them where you are going and ask what they could do to get a bike asap or triangle......say you will give them major props on MTBR...then do a big post about how good their Customer service is...but call them first thing tomorrow and pay for overnight shipping...all you need is a new front triangle (black matches everything)

explain to your parents it is cheaper and SAFER to bring a bike with you...the money you save not renting goes to new frame

SIDENOTE get some insurance...it is less then 40 for the whole week

·
Registered
630 Posts
Not sure about deals but Fanatyko rents Norco Aurums. I've seen a bunch floating around the park and they seem to be in pretty decent shape. I rode my buddies' Aurum as well. Sick bikes. Good DH and fun to jump. Having your own bike is definitely great, but if you can't go that route then just make sure you spend the first handful of runs dialing your suspension and then let her rip.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
usually bike companies will rush if you are going to Whistler..tell them where you are going and ask what they could do to get a bike asap or triangle......say you will give them major props on MTBR...then do a big post about how good their Customer service is...but call them first thing tomorrow and pay for overnight shipping...all you need is a new front triangle (black matches everything)

explain to your parents it is cheaper and SAFER to bring a bike with you...the money you save not renting goes to new frame

SIDENOTE get some insurance...it is less then 40 for the whole week
The only issue with that, is that it's a Revolt, so I'd have to get a hold of Kevin and get a Carbon Undead, and he's pretty tricky to get a hold of. I will try as hard as I can though to get a hold of him. I've been talking to Cam about the whole deal, and he says it will get warrantied, but he's outta touch too and can't tell me much more.

If anyone has a phone number for Evil i'll definitely call it tomorrow. Already got an Email sent. may shoot another mentioning the urgency. I'd love to test out a undead in whistler.

·
Registered
96 Posts
nothing beats having your own bike, I live in Houston, Tx and go DH riding 3 times a year. Snipping a couple of things off of ebay, getting some stuff from pricepoint, jensonusa and such I put together an amazing bike for $3000. It will basically pay for itself in 2-3 years worth of rentals and I can easily use it for the next 4-5 years.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The only issue with that, is that it's a Revolt, so I'd have to get a hold of Kevin and get a Carbon Undead, and he's pretty tricky to get a hold of. I will try as hard as I can though to get a hold of him. I've been talking to Cam about the whole deal, and he says it will get warrantied, but he's outta touch too and can't tell me much more.

If anyone has a phone number for Evil i'll definitely call it tomorrow. Already got an Email sent. may shoot another mentioning the urgency. I'd love to test out a undead in whistler.
Hope Evil takes care of you... Generally bike companies aren't going to give someone a new frame if they're not the original owner, but hopefully Zink can call in a favor and get it done. I think there's only a couple undeads in the world right now though so you might be waiting months until your number comes up. Especially since any company is going to take care of original owner custmers before they take care of formerly sponsored riders.

I do follow the mentality of bringing your own bike, but if you can't Evolution will take good care of you but for a very high price. Hopefully you and your parents are made of money because it's generally $60-100 for a rental bike each day depending on the shop and the bike. And then you've got to buy a lift ticket up there which is going to be about another $50 a day.

I still say bring your Porter. Make it as versatile as you can because it's more than what you'd need for 80% of everything up there. Whistler is groomed to the max and there generally aren't many surprises unless you get into the chunkier stuff up top. You could also make your Porter a little trail-able to pedal around on the xc trails, going all the way up there to only ride the park is pretty retarded and the "xc" trails up there can get more hairy than the buly trails at Northstar.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts