Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to long ago i bought my first carbon bar, it was between Renthal FatBar Carbon 35 and RaceFace Next R. I ended with the Next R because its the same back\up sweep i had before. After few rides with it im finding it really stiff compared to the alloy bar (RaceFace Affect R) i had before. Maybe i need to get used to it, or maybe its the wrong one for me... but now im wondering how its compared to Renthal FatBar carbon? is it also as stiff as the Next R, or a bit less\having a bit more flex?

Someone that having experience with both of them and willing to give some feedback will be welcomed. :)

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I don't know about those specifically, but personally, I've had carbon bars and aluminum bars and never could tell the difference while riding. Right now I've got carbon on one bike and aluminum on another. All else equal, 35mm will be much stiffer than 31.8. I have one of each at the moment and can't tell between them either. Others riders are probably more sensitive to the differences than I am.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could actually feel flex in your aluminum bars?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
After i got the carbon bar, i felt how stiff is it compared to the alloy bar. I didn't change it cos it was too flexy, I changed it because i hoped it will absorb a bit more vibrations compared to the alloy.

Im guessing there are a difference between how companies build/layering the carbon, and the outcome can be different, from super stiff up to too flexy bar, as well as how they absorb vibrations.
Maybe also rider weight, bike, terrain and riding style can change how the bar feels..

I will give more time to the Next R, maybe i need to get use to the change, and in the meantime i'll get the FatBar to try as well, maybe i'll like it more. Luckily a friend just got new bike and need one as well, and willing to take the one i dont like in the end, so no lost here.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not to long ago i bought my first carbon bar, it was between Renthal FatBar Carbon 35 and RaceFace Next R. I ended with the Next R because its the same back\up sweep i had before. After few rides with it im finding it really stiff compared to the alloy bar (RaceFace Affect R) i had before. Maybe i need to get used to it, or maybe its the wrong one for me... but now im wondering how its compared to Renthal FatBar carbon? is it also as stiff as the Next R, or a bit less\having a bit more flex?

Someone that having experience with both of them and willing to give some feedback will be welcomed. :)
I can shed a bit of light on this topic.

*disclaimer* The following info is from our own internal testing and only one piece of each of the competitor bars were benchmarked. The results have not been independently verified.

We wanted to make the best feeling bar possible. The solution is our patent pending oval bar profile which combines the best ride characteristics of 31.8mm and 35mm diameter handlebar standards. This is the most comfortable bar that we've ever ridden, period.

The graph below shows vertical compliance on the vertical axis and steering stiffness on the horizontal axis. In general, upward and to the right is better.

There are a few takeaways

- Our bar is on average 21% more vertically compliant and 29% stiffer in the steerer direction
- In our testing Next R 35mm 20mm rise and FatBar Carbon 35mm 20mm rise were very similar
- Spank Vibrocore tests quite well as most reviews suggest

Attachments

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
The only bars (out of the ones I've tried) to make my hands hurt were some 35mm Race Face carbon bars. I've been happy with 31.8 Enve bars since. The Vibrocore bars worked pretty good actually...but couldn't get along with the 6 degree sweep of the one I got.

·
Registered
377 Posts
How much compliance is there? For example, if you put 20lb of force on a bar end how much does it deflect? How consequential is it?
Our bar flexes ~1.40mm for 20lbs, on average the competitor bars flex ~1.15mm.

That may seem small but it is pretty consequential.

Jon

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I’ve been more and more interested in the oneup bar (so far not many reviews). One thing about the design that has me curious is the rotation must effect the compliance so is there any tips/tricks to ensure the bar is set so the vertical compliance is correct? I know your stem has a 0 indicator but I’m not interested in changing my stem.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Those graphs are interesting. I've got a set of SIXC and Next R bars, both 35 dia & 20mm rise, cut to the exact same length. I swore that the Next Rs felt harsher than the SIXCs that they replaced, which was strange because RF markets them as being more compliant than the SIXC (their DH bar).

Is it generally true that 35mm rise will have more vertical compliance than a 20mm rise, for the same bar?

I'm eagerly awaiting the availability of OneUp 35Rs... assuming I like them, I'll get a second pair for my second bike as well.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Anyone else finding it odd that both the fatbar and sixc 31.8 bars are coming out stiffer in steering response than their 35 versions? Is that a typo? It seems Renthal did good on keeping the bar feel the same since vertically they’re even but according to testing the 31.8 is stiffer laterally, not what I’d expect.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Anyone else finding it odd that both the fatbar and sixc 31.8 bars are coming out stiffer in steering response than their 35 versions? Is that a typo? It seems Renthal did good on keeping the bar feel the same since vertically they're even but according to testing the 31.8 is stiffer laterally, not what I'd expect.
Agreed.

I'm also wondering why OneUp only makes a 35mm bar, but it necks down to a smaller diameter so quickly. What is the 35mm clamp diameter really bringing to the table at that point, besides weight? Obviously it gives more available clamping surface area, but if that isn't an issue at 31.8mm, it doesn't serve a purpose.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Anyone else finding it odd that both the fatbar and sixc 31.8 bars are coming out stiffer in steering response than their 35 versions? Is that a typo? It seems Renthal did good on keeping the bar feel the same since vertically they're even but according to testing the 31.8 is stiffer laterally, not what I'd expect.
This is not a typo. Carbon 35mm bars are usually quite thin on the front and back faces of the clamping zone to add a bit of compliance. 31.8mm bars are very thick everywhere in the clamping zone to withstand clamping forces. This leads to a counter-intuitive stiffness result.

Agreed.

I'm also wondering why OneUp only makes a 35mm bar, but it necks down to a smaller diameter so quickly. What is the 35mm clamp diameter really bringing to the table at that point, besides weight? Obviously it gives more available clamping surface area, but if that isn't an issue at 31.8mm, it doesn't serve a purpose.
The OneUp bar only necks down quickly when you look at it from the front. Looking at the bar from the riding position, it remains 35mm for as long as possible. This is what allows the OneUp bar have better stiffness qualities than both 31.8mm and 35mm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.