Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of taking the family for a weekend somewhere near the above areas. I'll probably take my bike and sneak out for a morning ride, but the main idea is to have fun as a family.

So... any recommendations?

Cheers, Hobart

·
Registered
46 Posts
What will the rest of the family unit want to do while ya'll are here? There are some cabins up by Dupont, but that would put everybody else with you furthur away from Pisgah/Asheville/Food/Activites. I can't vouch for any places near Bent Creek, I know it would be closer to Asheville for shopping/movies. If it is mostly outdoor activities that will make everyone with ya happy, then I would hit up a BnB in town, in Brevard. That way, you're just a couple of minutes from the Davidson River area of Pisgah, 20 minutes from Dupont, and 30-40 minutes from the Biltmore Estate and other Asheville tourist hot-spots...

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've doing the same thing in August. We're going to Asheville but we're staying in cabins outside of the city.

Check out Tripadvisor.com (search Asheville) and Google "cabin rental Asheville". These will give you cabins around the vicinity. I know there are some not far from Bent Creek, and as sneakyalien stated, it would give the family something to do in or near Asheville.

I believe that Bent Creek is next to the NC Arboretum, so my family (wife, son, parents-in-law) are heading there one morning, and I'll be riding the trails. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
For family activities, I'd definitely say go to the Asheville/Brevard/DuPont area as opposed to the Tsali area (which is to the west). There is a lot more to do in the Asheville area. The towns of Hendersonville and Brevard are great little places and have nice downtown areas. Sliding rock is near Brevard and DuPont. There are tons of short hikes in Pisgah in that area and you can easily get up on the Parkway for some sightseeing. The Western Carolina Nature Center is a cool place for kids if they like wildlife. Asheville has great culture. You might be able to catch a minor league baseball game. You can ride horses in Pisgah, do so "family style" rafting that would be a good fit for younger kids, do some introductory rock climbing, visit the Farmer's Market in Asheville (that isn't really my thing, but my wife and kids love it).

I went and stayed one year closer to Tsali and Smoky Mountain National Park. We went mainly to see the park. I was real disappointed. Unless the purpose of your trip is solely to be outdoors and get away, there is not much around there. (You could of course stay in that area and drive through the park to the Gatlinburg area, but that is a whole different world and as much of a cheesy tourist area as I've ever seen).

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Liberty Cycles has a rental house right in Bent Creek called "Trails End". You could ride right from the house directly on to the trails. This would have you very close to Asheville.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Maida7 said:
Liberty Cycles has a rental house right in Bent Creek called "Trails End". You could ride right from the house directly on to the trails. This would have you very close to Asheville.
Not to hijack Hobart's thread, but thank you for posting this info. I was debating whether or not to haul my bike out there. This gives me another option. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Down to Earth Cottages in Brevard is a nice place to stay. It's quite, right on the French Broad, and in between Pisgah and Dupont. Hannah, the owner is great. She has canoes and will shuttle the family for ya. She know the area well and can help you find other things for the family to do. Cabins are nice, rustic, and very clean. Always fresh veggies around too.

downtoearthcottages.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about Deerwood Rentals outside of Brevard?

Does anyone have any knowledge of them? Nice place to stay or do you recommend the previously mentioned Ash Grove, Down to Earth Cottages or Rushing Water Cabins over them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts