Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Norco Fluid 2 with Deore drivetrain. I keep bending my rear derailleur and I'm not sure exactly how I do it. I'm almost at the point where I'm going to throw my bike or pull my hair out -- whichever comes first. I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure I could fix it myself if I knew how. Any ideas on how to keep from bending it or how to fix it? Did I mention I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't like to take my bike to the shop and spend money???

·
aka Willy Vanilly
485 Posts
How do you bend it? At the cage? When you're in your big cog? When the suspension is really deep in its travel? Is the housing too short? The chain too short? The limits set wrong? Eliminate some of the variables... let us know when, how, why, where, etc....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said... clear as mud

will8250 said:
How do you bend it? At the cage? When you're in your big cog? When the suspension is really deep in its travel? Is the housing too short? The chain too short? The limits set wrong? Eliminate some of the variables... let us know when, how, why, where, etc....
:confused: My housing, chain and limits are fine. After that I'm not sure. It happened after a 4' drop. My chain stayed on and I didn't have any problems until 5 minutes later when I tried to switch gears. As I was doing an ascent I switched to the lowest gears possible. That's when I noticed the derailleur arm was moving down into the spokes.

If that isn't any help then I don't know what to say. I'd throw the bike, but I think I might end up with more than just a bent derailleur.

·
aka Willy Vanilly
485 Posts
Have you had the rear derailleur hangar alignment checked? Is it possible that it's not the derailleur but more the hangar? I've bent a couple of mine in the past.

Have you checked to make sure the derailleur is in line with the big cog when it is in that gear?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.