Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice on a good place to XC ride in the Reno area. I'm from So Calif and will be in Reno for business in about three weeks. Fortunately, I should have a 1/2 day to ride one morning. I'll be bringing my bike and will have a car, so as long as the trail is reasonably close it's all good. I consider myself a strong intermediate rider with pretty good climbing skills.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some cool trails. Any links to maps, etc. would be appreciated. Also, I've never ridden at altitude before. I'm assuming that most trails are fairly high. What can I expect in terms of stamina loss.

Thanks in advance.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Reno Rides

Flume is great -- Rode it last Saturday with my wife -- but, it could be a rather long day once you add commute & shuttle time.

Check out the Peavine McCarran to Peoville ride. It was my favorite ride in when I lived in Reno. Drive North on Virginia (Past UNR Campus) -- Turn Left on McCarran (West). I think the trailhead isn't even a mile out on the Right.

In the link below, go to the Trail Map section and check out the ride!

http://www.greatbasinbicycles.com/

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Why shuttle, just do a loop!

One of my favorite loops is to start at the Mt. Rose Tahoe Rim trailhead, take the Rim Trail to Hobart Rd and Marlette Lake, drop down to Spooner Lake (refill with water) and head back on the Flume, up Tunnel Creek Rd., and back on the Rim Trail. If you skip the drop to Spooner Lake, it's about 30 miles and a more reasonable amount of climbing. You could also head down Tunnel Creek to the Flume and just do an out and back but you'd miss out on the fun climb on the Tahoe Rim Trail to the Sand Harbor Overlook area. The Mt. Rose trailhead is only about 15 minutes from Reno isn't it?

I'll have to check out that Peoville Trail... I think I may have hiked it a long time ago. Thanks!

·
Hill crawler
314 Posts
Altitude

CalEpic said:
Thanks for the tips and links.

It looks like the weather should be perfect for riding.
Reno is at less than 5000' so altitude at Peavine shouldn't be a problem. Even if you head up to the TRT or Flume Trail you're only at 7000' so it might hurt a little. Do it in the morning when a) it's cooler, b) it's higher density air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts