Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
see santa cruz news article http://www.santacruzmtb.com/news/index.php?NewsID=0091

I am amazed in the news article titled

"NATHAN RENNIE TAKES THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL SERIES OVERALL AND IS CONSIDERED VICTORIOUS IN THE NATIONAL FINALS"

How can Santa Cruz even imply he was the fastest when the clock said he came second. Why not even take it to the next level and say he is the unofficial world champion. He is probably also racing for second when in comes to the rainbow jersey. Instructions from his sponsors I guess! Who is Nathan sponsored by again? Geez at least Mick Hannah had the balls to be true to his himself and his sponsors and win a National jersey. Maybe the Santa Cruz marketing department just can't work Green and Gold into their colour scheme.

I am a very disappointed Santa Cruz customer who wants to see the best not only from it's product range but also it's riders. Hoping for better in the future

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I guess you didn't understand the article :rolleyes:
Hannah actually did his sponsors a disservice by winning the title. Now he has to wear a national champ jersey with marginalized sponsorship placement. You can thank stupid UCI rules for this outcome. Rennie WAS the fastest rider.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand what you and the article is saying. What I am saying is a seeding run is a seeding run and you should read nothing more into that. Many a rider will ride a seeding run slower to hit the course earlier when its in better condition. Rennie was obviously instructed to set a time in the seeding run then ride for a podium finish except for first. Mick on the other hand raced to win and did. He is the champ while everyone else can only make excuses. Mick had the backing of his sponsors and they thought a National champion would be bring some kudos and they could work with whatever restrictions the UCI has placed on national jersey logos.

Sam Hill was in awesome form and rolled down the hill even slower. His seeding run against final run times would have him in second. You can't compare what might have been.

As a "punter" I would love to have half the talent Rennie, Hill, and Hannah have. All I want to see is them use this talent and not wimp out like Hill and Rennie were instructed to do by their sponsors.

My point of the post here is I think Santa Cruz want the best from the their bikes (which I think they do a great job) why not the best from their riders?

·
Registered
649 Posts
1770 said:
My point of the post here is I think Santa Cruz want the best from the their bikes (which I think they do a great job) why not the best from their riders?
Santa Cruz also gotta keep the sponsors happy dude.
Sponsors = $$$$$

·
Australien
285 Posts
mr plow said:
Santa Cruz also gotta keep the sponsors happy dude.
Sponsors = $$$$$
Pfft. I'm with 1770 on this one, and it's not Rennie's fault. He'd lose his place in the team had he won. Poor form on SC's behalf for sure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I remember the same thing happening in the UK with a lot of the best UK riders in the world not competing due to the conflict between sponsorship and the UCI rule. It's stupid really. The UCI isn't footing the bill for these riders travel and equipment expenses, the sponsors are doing that. What do they get for hiring the number one riders? The UCI essentially telling them their riders can't promote their sponsor's product.

·
Registered
649 Posts
MRC said:
Pfft. I'm with 1770 on this one, and it's not Rennie's fault. He'd lose his place in the team had he won. Poor form on SC's behalf for sure.

Hey i don't agree with it either, but that's just the way it goes.

I just got a bit shirty seeing Rennie and wimp in the same sentence. Nathan Rennie doesn't wimp out!!!!

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Does the UCI pay for Rennies plane tickets, hotels, food, bikes, car, and life? Nope, didn't think so, down with the UCI.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll jump back in here and explain myself further.

I guess I was letting off a bit of steam and I singled out Rennie not to be personal but more my dissappointment at the whole thing. I traveled 2,500km and spent plenty of money to watch what I was hoping was going to be as close to a World Cup or World Championship field go head to head. To see Rennie absolutely rip the course in the seeding run was fantastic. Then when it came to the money run the race was basically who could roll down the fastest or even slowest in some cases. So I'm dissappointed in the whole situation and should not have really pointed this at Nathan Rennie as at the end of the day he's the meat in the sandwich.

The point I am also making is I buy the sponsors products, I pay my race fees (no talent) and so on. All this contributes to the pockets of the sponsors and riders and I really felt short changed. Its the punter at the bottom of the food chain that pays for all of this. So I had an expectation of the race and it did not eventuate.

I still believe that a marketing person that is even half good could get plenty of exposure from a National Jersey without even one logo on it.

I plan to go to the Worlds in Livigno. Will I see the same thing happen there? I will be on the hill cheering for Rennie to win. I'll have my fingers crossed that I don't see a procession of wheelies, monos, manuals and tail flicks in the final run.

All I want to see is the politics sorted so when the guys are ready to rock and roll we see them put everything on the line when it comes to race time.

I hope I have explained myself better and shoudn't have singled Nathan out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts