Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
That team of pampered drunks should have been cast off long ago. A huge toy for an othewise small thinking owner that never generated a penny of sales. Can such a company survive such a careless expense for so many years at a time when they'd be better served preparing for the worst recession in US history? The act of laying off half it's workforce in the last 2 months is a company in the last death throws of the economy. Perhaps a bit more thought into infrastructure, utilizing talents and open communication and less about it's almighty "mojo" and cool factor might have save SCB...rest in peace.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Tell you what...if did what those guys did, I would drink alot too. It is insane how fast they take stuff that many people would walk only.

And as for spending money on "mojo"...you do realize that to be able to compete against the Giants and Specialized of the world that you have to have something other then just a great bike. Every company in the world is dying to have that "cool" image...the hard part is keeping it once you get it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Troll or not...

While old cynical mate's reason for posting might be suspect, he does make a reasonable point; I've alwyas thought that SC has a bloody large roster of (comparatively) well-paid riders pursuing a race series that would be hideously punishing on any marketing budget.

Add up just the basic expenses - salaries, flights, accom, car rental etc - and it'd still be a fair old number at the end of a typical season, esp for a relatively small company.

It doesn't have a big outside sponsor picking up part of the tab, either.

I don't know how many more frame sales can be attributed to the team, but SC has pushed the team into the dvd arena pretty well - my 6 y o knows how Nathan Rennie is, at least! (and loves his V10, too...)

Still and all, if SC is battening down the hatches to ride out an economic downturn that's going to hit discretionary-spend items (like new mountain bike frames) pretty bloody hard, RR needs to be hard-nosed enough to look dispassionately at the expenses incurred by all facets of his business.

Take Honda as an example - it's one of the world's most profitable auto makers, yet it's dropping its motor racing programs like hot tiles.

You can always get back into racing once the economy starts to uptick again, too...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.