Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Glad to see your post....

I've often thought about switching over my EWR or my Smorgasbord to a SS. Researched chain tension devices a little, and was leaning toward the Rennan. (Just out of liking the design best.) NEVER even gave it a thought about compatability as the design is SO symple. Both of these sweet steel frames have Breezer drops! Thanks for the post.
Could the Rennan be modified rather than the frame?

· College
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The frame needs to be modified for sure, but one might have to modify the rennen as well because of a rather large diameter at the drop outs. That area around the dropout is 1 inch inn diameter. This needs to fit inside the hood of the breezers, but im not sure if they do. Another thing that would need modification is the derailleur hanger. Part of the hood goes down into the hanger and consequently blocks the rennen from going over those areas. Grinding that down so that the hanger plate is flush will not compromise strength.... atleast i dont think it will. I think as long as there is enough of the hood to weld the seat stays on the itshould be safe.

ps. what kind of frames are those ?

· Look at the time!
1,144 Posts
I have DMR Frame with hooded dropouts, and i was wondering if a rennen would fit. Someone showed me this picture:

https://img316.imageshack.us/img316/8205/rennen9jm.jpg

ok, those dropouts are quite big, but the tensioner itself doesn't look like it would cause problems even with smaller "hoods" like on my DMR.

So, does anyone have a picture of the breezer dropouts that cause problems?

· Recovering couch patato
13,971 Posts
I didn't make a pic, but I bought my Rennen's (2) primarily with my Surly Pacer in mind. Soon I saw it was going to take way too much filing to get it to work. I used one Rennen once, and have now sold them both.
It's a good product for normal dropouts, near perfect. For it to be perfect I had had to do some filing on mine anyway, the MTB I fitted it to once was only just not able to let the driveside axle sink all the way into the dropout, the Rennen, as I feared up frant, has not the adjustment for axle-hanger distance to work with all bikes. Road bike hangers can get short, my MTB was long.
I needed the cash now, but may well buy one or a similar product again.

· No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
The Frames are....

b12yan88 said:
The frame needs to be modified for sure, but one might have to modify the rennen as well because of a rather large diameter at the drop outs. That area around the dropout is 1 inch inn diameter. This needs to fit inside the hood of the breezers, but im not sure if they do. Another thing that would need modification is the derailleur hanger. Part of the hood goes down into the hanger and consequently blocks the rennen from going over those areas. Grinding that down so that the hanger plate is flush will not compromise strength.... atleast i dont think it will. I think as long as there is enough of the hood to weld the seat stays on the itshould be safe.

ps. what kind of frames are those ?
Smorgasbord was out of Hershey, PA. Currently a thread (w/some photos) on the Vintage forum. EWR (Eastern Woods Research) were out of Bethlehem, PA. EWR was started by Jay DeJesus. Once big into trials...Jay writes for Dirt Rag now and again.
Both frames are steel. Love them both. Shame that neither brand survived.
PS. Plenty of EWR threads started with plenty of photos as well. Just do a search. The frames were/are very unique in design and geometry. Mine has a 72 degr. HA and 15.9" seatstays. GREAT trail/singletrack machine!

· No Justice = No Peace
1,511 Posts
washer work wonders....

I wonder if you could space the tensioner out with a washer until it cleared the drop out hood. Would the roller wheel still be long enough to reach the chain? Seems less destructive than hacking your frame.

· College
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lutarious said:
I wonder if you could space the tensioner out with a washer until it cleared the drop out hood. Would the roller wheel still be long enough to reach the chain? Seems less destructive than hacking your frame.
i dont think that will work...

· velocipede technician
8,703 Posts
run it on the inside?

dont own one so im not sure,but could you thin down the axle hole a touch,run a few less spacers on the roller,spread your rear triangle and mount inside the dropout?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.