Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if the rennen tensioner will work with a fat chance yo eddy? the hanger is flat on the vertical surface between the dropout and where the deralleur threads in, that seems to be the main issue.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Rennen on 87 FAT CHANCE Wicked

Put one on an 87 FAT CHANCE Wicked about a month ago. I had a little bit of modificiations to make. The derrailler hole bolt would not go in. Off about about 2 mm. I had to put it in the drill press and widen the slot a little. Then fit up good. I have no idea why it did not work. Maybe these old drop-outs were just a little different. No problems with the flat area fitting. Has been working good for me. I think a great product.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree, quality product

everything about the Rennen is first class, and the design is solid. I bet it is just a minor difference in some drop outs. If you had about 30 minutes and a rat tail file, you could widen the slot just as I did on the drill press. I would not hesitate to recommend product.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The Rennen has a limited range in axle-derailereur hole distances. My mainstream Taiwan biek (well a Proto bikewith mainstreatm dropouts) was a tad too long. I rode the bike with the driveside axle NOT fully seated in the dropout, hindered by the Rennen. But I had commited to using that bike to regain a SS title, and for that it worked. Took the Rennen off after and sold it. I've heard much prefereble reports on the On-One Otherdoofer which is similar, but different.
The Rennen relies on a proprietary o-ring which is ever so tiny and falls in the tall grass whatever you try when doing on-trail repairs.
Once installed I much say the Rennen is about as good as a SS gets. I did get lucky with chain lengh though.
A friend got an Otherdoofer (highly similar for chainlength issues) and it was hard to get it to work with a chosen gear ratio, either too much slack to take up, or too short a chain. Halflinks are good things to have, if you don't want to use 2nd-choice cog sizes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks fellas

i looked into the dropout / hanger bolt distance by lining up an extra replacable hanger i had lying around next to the fat hanger and it seems to be a few mms off depending on what angle i hold it at. i will probably just file it to fit if need be. now i just need to get it...ordered it 2 thursdays ago and asked george to 2nd day it but still don't have it. anyone have experience with ordering from rennen direct?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.