Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
asshole roadie
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here using any of the Rene Herse tires? I'm specifically looking at the 700c x 55mm Antelope Hill tires. https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700c-x-55-antelope-hill-tc/ There's something about a 2.2" fully slick tire that scratches an itch I didn't know I had.

I had a pair of the 35mm Bon Jon Pass tires way back when they were Compass tires and they first came out with their tubless design. They'd noticeably lose air through a long ride, though they were really comfortable and fast. I think I remember reading a blog post by them addressing their sidewalls being too permeable when set up tubeless and redesigning them, but I haven't messed around with them since. Anyone here give them a shot lately?

They're pretty spendy, but if they've solved their leakage problem they'd make for some really comfortable all-day tires. Gravel around here is mostly 50/50 and never really technical, so there's not really a need for knobbies.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
I really wanted to try the Antelope Hills, but the price scared me, so I went with the Soma Supple Vitesse in 700x48c.

I still want to try the Antelope Hills. My name is 1 Cog Frog, and I am a tire addict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Human Test Subject
1,426 Posts
I've used both Somas and Compasses.

My compasses blew off my hooked rims. Somas stayed on the exact same rims. For obvious safety reasons I prefer the Somas.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Been using a couple of different sizes of black extralights for the last year or so. Really like them. Tubeless with Orange Seal Endurance.

A couple of days ago there were some hardly-used Antelope Hill black extralight going cheap on the Riding Gravel Forum. Could be worth chasing down.

If I was interested in that size, I'd have purchased them. Just feel they're too large a diameter for my riding.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I’ve got the Rat Traps on my 26er commuter. They are a really fun and comfortable tire. Can lean them way over and haul through corners. Running tubes though because they’re mounted on old Mavic rims.

I’ve got Bon Jon standards mounted tubeless on one of my gravel wheel sets. I don’t have any sidewall leaking and they’ve been holding air fine for a bit over 1000 miles. They’re ready to replaced already. They do ride really well on pavement through moderate gravel, however, I don’t think they’re double the price better than Gravel Kings.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I'm tempted to get a pair for Dirty Kanza. Can anyone comment on the puncture resistance/sidewall protection? I'll run them tubeless.
there isn't any.

IMO those tires are dangerously thin. Hard HARD pass, although i understand why some people love them.

·
asshole roadie
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled the trigger on a set of Snoqualmie Pass tires. The Antelope Pass were probably a bit overkill. I'll throw these on my "B" wheel set. I have a set of Somas on my "A" wheels that have proven reliable, if a bit slow. They'll stay on there until I have a couple hundred trouble free miles on these.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
there isn't any.

IMO those tires are dangerously thin. Hard HARD pass, although i understand why some people love them.
This is wrong. Their tires come in many different versions extra light, standard, endurance, endurance plus. As you go through the versions the puncture protection becomes more pronounced. I have been running their "standard" 38 and 42mm knobby tires for about a year now and they are excellent on a gravel bike. Roll very very well and give me all the grip I want on a drop bar gravel bike with a fixed seatpost.

They have handled downhill launching into rocks really really well. A couple of "oh ****" moments and my tires were fine.

I tried a variety of WTB and Vittoria tires before these and was mostly disappointed. Vittoria was decent. But these Rene Herse ones are Great!.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Oracle Ridge in endurance plus and they are still very supple without any issue. I'm not sure if I would get them again though. I think Bruce Gordon Rock n Road or Soma Cazadero are better depending on application.

·
Single Track Mind
966 Posts
I tried out the Hurricane Ridge 42mm tires on a 25mm rim and have mixed opinions. They were a beast to get on the rim, but they mounted up tubeless easily. Once on, they roll really nice on pavement or dirt, but they punctured really easily on a fast rocky fire road. I didn't have any Stan's Darts, so I struggled to break the bead and had to wrestle with the tire for over 2 hours. Now, to be fair, they are easy to install on a narrower rim by hand.

Overall, I wouldn't get another set because my rims are 25mm and I'm sticking with the i9s. These HRs are best suited for hard pack and mellow gravel. If you ride Chunky Mt. Tam type fire roads, I would suggest something with better puncture protection. I have been using WTB Raddlers in 44mm/120 tpi with the SDG2 bead-to-bead puncture protection. They roll fast and hook up like crazy.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have been using my Hurricane Ridge 42s (standard casing), exclusively on and around Mount Tam. Including as fast as I can go down Eldredge (super super rocky), with a few oh **** that didn't work moments. No issues.

My friend who punctures tires more often went with their endurance casing, which includes bead-to-bead protection.

I am running mine on i23 rims though, so the littlest bit different. You just have to be smart and buy the tire for the terrain you ride.

My 4 sets of WTBs burned me out on them. Each had something wrong that shouldn't have happened. (came with manufacturing holes in the bead, premature wear, tread delaminated from the casing, stupid advertising with "light fast")

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I have another 100 miles under my belt with the Oracle Ridges and they are growing on me... traction on the street - getting to trailhead is good and they are not total dogs/slow. On the trail, I've now ran them in chuck, rocks, optimal velcro/cakebatter traction. I just wish they cost less... I went with endurance plus. The difference between 76 and 90 is negligible so better safe than sorry. they are wearing better than my rock n roads did. I'll give an update in another month.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts