Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening guys,

Just replaced the valve stems on my wheels and wanted to grease behind the wheel spacers and maybe pack the bearings before reassembly.

How the heck do you get these spacers off please? They wiggle and spin easily, but I cannot pull them off with my fingers. Whats the secret please. Check the attached pic. Front and rear both.

After reading bearing technology on DtSwiss' page, it seems theres more to removing and replacing these bearings than I thought with proper preload and all. I'd prefer just to leave the bearings where they are and just pick off the outer seal, clean, repack and reseal. Can this be done?

Thank you for your help.
Sid

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,015 Posts
Some DT swiss hubs have screw-on endcaps.

I'm not sure what your picture is of. There's a cassette on one and a centerlock disc rotor on the other.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me maybe reword my request. Please forgive me because I am not exactly sure what these spacers/adapters are called that are assembled into my hubs, front and back.
I want to get to the bearings of both front and back hubs. The front wheel hub spacers are slightly "wiggly" and do spin freely, but I never in my 1 1/2 years owning the bike since new greased or replaced these bearings. Same goes for the rear. Although, when I grab onto the rear spacers or adapters, they do spin, but you can feel they are a bit gritty.

I have looked you tube over many times last night as well as search here and I cannot see how to get these bearings or remove MY type of spacers.

Looking at the build spec of my Intense Tracer, it says my hubs are "DT Swiss M1900, centerlock, 110x15mm, 28 hole/148x12mm, XD Rear". Rims are DT Swiss M1900 27.5, 30mm.

I have looked over the DT Swiss sight to try and find my hub type, using their filters, I still don't think I'm finding what I need.
I just want to grease the front and rear bearings. I'd like to do this myself and try to save some money by going to the LBS. I've worked on my Moto bikes for 30 + years. This shouldn't be this hard. I get it. There are probably some special tools that would by by factory standards required, but surely, people have worked around this.

I took some new pics to try to convey better what I'm working on.

Thanks for any help you guys can give and have a great day.

Sid

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,015 Posts
It looks like there are flats machined in the caps in the pictures? Is this correct? If so, they are of the screw-on variety.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, but no. there are no flats machined into either the front or rear endcaps or spacers. I could see where the discs and cassette would need to come off though.

What type of tool would I need to remove the cassette please?

Thanks again for your guys' help.

Sid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.