Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just up graded to disc brakes and would like to remove the V brake posts from the bike. Can this be done? It looks like the rear brake posts on the frame are just threaded in, but there is no allen head or other means to get a wrench on there to remove them. Is there a way besides taking channel locks to the posts themselves and backing them out. I don't want to ruin them if possible.

Same question for the Dart 3 fork? Are they removable? if so, channel locks or some other way?

Thanks for any help.
Ken

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can use vise. Tighten V Brake post in vise and rotate whole vise to unscrew post. Most times the spanner is not enough to unscrew it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
5/16" box wrench and hammer... apply pressure to the wrench and hit it with a hammer to break the loctite, once you do that they should unscrew, though they remain tight. On that note when I removed mine I noticed the holes were hissing like they were letting out air or something???

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
jahkneefive said:
5/16" box wrench and hammer... apply pressure to the wrench and hit it with a hammer to break the loctite, once you do that they should unscrew, though they remain tight. On that note when I removed mine I noticed the holes were hissing like they were letting out air or something???
Possible. You couldn't remove the posts on Marzocchi air forks, and I think the SID forks had to have them installed too. Not sure about Fox.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yes they are removable...

and red loctite or some similar thread locker is usually used. However it is quite easy to remove them. The flats are usually 10mm and to break the locktite simply use a butane torch to heat them up a bit. Apply the torch to the very end of the post to prevent discoloring the paint on the frame and fork. Heat for about 30 seconds then try to remove them. If they don't turn relatively easily then heat for another 30 seconds and try again. And don't sweat removing them from the fork. The only forks that I am aware of that actually require them to be there are older Marzocchi forks with the two piece lowers. They were produced from around 1999 to about 2001 or 2002. Your Dart will be fine without them.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
576 Posts
Squash said:
and red loctite or some similar thread locker is usually used. However it is quite easy to remove them. The flats are usually 10mm and to break the locktite simply use a butane torch to heat them up a bit. Apply the torch to the very end of the post to prevent discoloring the paint on the frame and fork. Heat for about 30 seconds then try to remove them. If they don't turn relatively easily then heat for another 30 seconds and try again. And don't sweat removing them from the fork. The only forks that I am aware of that actually require them to be there are older Marzocchi forks with the two piece lowers. They were produced from around 1999 to about 2001 or 2002. Your Dart will be fine without them.

Good Dirt
+1
heating up loctited bolts is normally very effective at loosening up the loctite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.