Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, picked up my new Prophet MX yesterday - awesome looking machine!! want to take it out for it's first real ride today, but I'm struggling to get the rear wheel out. It's a Thru-12 axle, I've loosened the pinchbolts and the axle bolt, but the non-drive side (the ovalised side) isn't budging. Is there a knack to do doing this, or am I doing something wrong?
Cheers

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey there,

with all the pinch bolts loose, I usually back out the axle screw only 1/3 then whack it with something ( folded up Park allen set works great) this will dislodge the oval end. then back the screw out the rest of the way , then put your 5mm in the perpendicular hole on the axle and pull axle out.... once you get your own system down you can actually change flats quicker than you might imagine...

good luck

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
absinto said:
Hi there, picked up my new Prophet MX yesterday - awesome looking machine!! want to take it out for it's first real ride today, but I'm struggling to get the rear wheel out. It's a Thru-12 axle, I've loosened the pinchbolts and the axle bolt, but the non-drive side (the ovalised side) isn't budging. Is there a knack to do doing this, or am I doing something wrong?
Cheers
Sounds like the axle was not properly greased. Use a socket about the same size as the axle as a punch and give it a good whack.

Make sure you grease up the axle good when reassembling. The axle is suppose come off easily.

If it doesn't budge than your axle is seized to the hub. Take it to your LBS.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dis- and Reassembling

Hi !

Since yesterday i also know how to do this job because my rear tire had a hole in the hose.I think it is best to use an allen wrench to stick in the thread side of the axle when you push the axle back in the frame, because of the weight of the tire it is not easy to find the way in the frame.

It is important to tighten the two bolts which clamp the axle with a torque wrench??
I made it without such a tool, and tried to tighten not very hard.Is this enough??

Best regards

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey, thanks guys - I'd already tried backing out the bolt and belting it one with a rubber mallet, which works a treat ;-) - wasn't sure if there was a "proper" way of doing it. thanks for your help. Loving the MX, awesome bike :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.