Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
removing Specialized Strongarm II cranks

Having the worst time removing these cranks - I'm trying to replace the granny sprocket, but the cranks need to be removed to get to it.
I tried a crank puller, and that doesn't seem to work - the outer piece screws in all the way. I tried to tap the crank off, thinking I don't need a crank puller, but that doesn't work either.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
removing strong arm cranks

If these arms are 2002 or newer, they use the ISIS or Octalink interface with the bottom bracket and require the appropriate crank puller. Using a square taper crank puller won't work.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
krazcanuk said:
Having the worst time removing these cranks - I'm trying to replace the granny sprocket, but the cranks need to be removed to get to it.
I tried a crank puller, and that doesn't seem to work - the outer piece screws in all the way. I tried to tap the crank off, thinking I don't need a crank puller, but that doesn't work either.
They should be Octalink. I had a heck of a time removing mine also, even with the proper Park crank puller. The problem was that somehow the size of the endmost piece of the puller was just a hair larger than the splined hole on my crank. I eventually got them off using a large pipe as an extender, but ended up slightly enlarging the hole on my crank. The other side came off just fine.

Make sure you have the right puller, you probably won't have any problems at all.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It should be a Octlink.....

I have used the regular crank puller with a bolt of the appropriate size and length inside the spindle. It should sits against the crank bolt at the opposite end and the end of the crank puller.

Else get your hands on a self extracting crank bolt and the cap to get your cranks off.

Wayne

·
Registered
658 Posts
I recently purchases a strongarm 2 and it was isis. but I guess there could be different types.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts