Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a GT Karakoram 3.0 that came with Shimano Alivio, Sl-M430, Rapid Fire shifters. I switched the brake levers and shifters for better one finger braking. The shifter indicators are really in the way and make it kind of uncomfortable for my hands to shift. Is there a way to take them off without ruining them?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was able to remove the shift indicators off of my old 8-speed Alivio shifters. No fancy covers though.

Edit: that diagram shows it wouldn't be smart to do, unless you can make replacement covers.

Sent from my hammock

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tech docs. I might take them apart and see if its possible to make new covers. This is my first real bike apart from walmart/target bikes so I'm new to all this. If I do happen to destroy them, what would be good shifters to replace them with?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to take the indicators off. I cut as much of the plastic off as I thought was safe. It turns out, my break levers fit perfectly into the gap that was left. I'll just have to fill the cracks with something to keep dust out.

140420_0000.jpg 140420_0001.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts