Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any tricks to removing the reducers/bushings from the shock eye?

I am trying to take the reducers off my shock, so i can put the PUSH ones on with the rockers. I have a screw extractor, but it just spins the reducer and nothing else happens.

Thanks in advance.
TG

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
The "reducers" are the aluminum fittings that mount to the outside of the shock eye and through which the shock bolt passes. The bushings or bushes are the inserts that actually press into the shock eye itself. They can be removed with a special tool that you can buy or that your LBS typically should have. Without the tool here's whay you can do:

1. find a ratchet wrench socket that has a slightly smaller outside diameter than the inside diameter of the shock eye. The socket should be slightly bigger than the diameter of the bushing.

2. find another socket that has an inside diameter slightly larger than the eyelet hole, but small enough to have good contact with both side of the shock eyelet mount itself .

3. Using a bench vice carefully align the small socket on one side of the eyelet so it contacts the rim of the bushing and put the large socket on the other side of eyelet and snug the vice so it holds it all together.

4. Carefully tighten the vice so the small socket is pushed into the eyelet and pushes the bushing out into the inside of the large socket. Voila

5. press the new bushing in.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
G-AIR said:
Are there any tricks to removing the reducers/bushings from the shock eye?

I am trying to take the reducers off my shock, so i can put the PUSH ones on with the rockers. I have a screw extractor, but it just spins the reducer and nothing else happens.

Thanks in advance.
TG
Pull/tug on the bolt extractor while spinning it.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I pryed mine out with a flathead when installing the push stuff. Installing the Push reducer "axle" is fun too...I screwed the bolt in on one side of the axle, then just kept screwing and pushing at the same time until it was centered.

Don't forget to keep the main pivot bolts loose until you get the shock between the rockers. Otherwise you'll pinch the o-rings while trying to slide the shock in.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
seein as how ya may have hosed the stock reducers with the easy out (too bad, dad) just grab em with a pliers and pull. this works ok otherwise but leaves some marks that dont affect performance. from there do what cut says startin with a shop and the right tools which i think you can also order from fox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.