Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to get the back wheel [with disc rotor] off without scratching the frame bending the rotor or going nuts?:madman: :madmax: Why so hard? Someone please tell Me if there is a easy way to do this........

·
Registered
816 Posts
mr.specialized said:
Is there any way to get the back wheel [with disc rotor] off without scratching the frame bending the rotor or going nuts?:madman: :madmax: Why so hard? Someone please tell Me if there is a easy way to do this........
It shouldn't be that hard. What is the problem? Can you loosen the axle/quick release? Push the wheel out of the dropouts? The other place the wheel sometimes gets hung up is at the rear derailleur - you may need to pull the derailleur back out of the way, and then the wheel should drop free. It's easiest to do this (and put the wheel back in) if you shift the chain to the small rear cog first.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did shift to the smallest cog but the problem is there is no room for the rotor to fit in between the frame and the derailieur. I had to take the caliper off the frame and the quick release rod out just to get enough room to pull the wheel :skep:

·
Registered
816 Posts
mr.specialized said:
I did shift to the smallest cog but the problem is there is no room for the rotor to fit in between the frame and the derailieur. I had to take the caliper off the frame and the quick release rod out just to get enough room to pull the wheel :skep:
This is definitely not the way things should be! The rotor is on the opposite side from the derailleur, no? Not sure why/how it is in the way of the frame and the derailleur. Also, the quick release shouldn't really be in the way. HOWEVER, on one of my bikes the derailleur itself encroaches a bit into the dropout, so it can take a bit of pressure to force it past. I wonder if that's what's happening to you? You need to figure out exactly where the wheel is hanging up.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Can you get a picture of what is going on?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Is this a SRAM X-9 or X-0 rear derailleur? They are actually a bit easier to remove/replace the wheel if the chain is about the third of fourth smalest cog in the cassette. I used to have a problem on my 2004 ETSX running an X-0 that the end nut on the Mavic QR would not clear the derailleur pivot it was a couple of millimeters too big in diameter combined with the dropout slot angle, the easiest way to get it off was to remove the QR entirely.

But lining up the disc rotor with the caliper while lining up the dropouts is really a matter of practice. The chain will keep pulling it off line unless you turn the bike upside down and use gravity to your advantage. That will also reveal any need to bleed your brakes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've allways had rim brakes so maybe I just need to learn how to do it right.....but what's happening is when I pull the wheel from the dropouts there's no room for the rotor to clear the frame when I move the wheel over to clear the deraileur, then it gets stuck and I end up going nuts because I'm scratching up the frame....And no I'ts not a sram it's a xt....

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
If it's an XT you can just push it out of the way. You do want the chain in the 11T cog position when you're doing this. You want to align the rotor with caliper and the hub with the dropouts and just shove the derailleur around till it is out of the way and lined up.

There's no way to do this without ending up with a greasy hand as you have to manage the chain manually and keep it from holding up getting the axle into the dropout (while simultaneously avoiding catching your fingers between the chain and cassette which can result in serious physical injury).

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
mr.specialized said:
I've allways had rim brakes so maybe I just need to learn how to do it right.....but what's happening is when I pull the wheel from the dropouts there's no room for the rotor to clear the frame when I move the wheel over to clear the deraileur, then it gets stuck and I end up going nuts because I'm scratching up the frame....And no I'ts not a sram it's a xt....
This is how I do it...
1. Shift chain to smallest cog. It will also help to shift to the smallest chainring too. This will take tension out of the chain and help move the derailleur out of the way.
2. Loosen QR
3. From the rear of bike rotate the rear derailleur toward the back of the bike. This should allow the cogset to clear the derailleur
4. While holding derailleur with one hand, push wheel out of dropouts with the other

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
OK, my description:

- shift to smallest cog
- put the bike upside down
- loosen QR (loose enough)
- lift the wheel out holding both ends of the QR and pulling the derailer back (with my thumb, I think)

Putting it back is more tricky: you need to be more precise and the cogs are not helping at all with pulling the derailer out of the way.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Since OP is called mr.specialized, I just have to ask if this is a P2 with horizontal dropouts? That makes removing the rear wheel much different than with standard vertical dropouts.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
I had this problem with my Enduro when I was running tall tires; the tire hits the frame before the skewer can get past the actual pivot of the derailleur. I would just pull back the derailleur, as others have mentioned, and hit the tire from the top ... the wheel would drop down into the lower half of the chain and i'd just pull it out.

2003 Specializaed Enduro

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.