Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove my RP23 from my 08 Superlight frame.

The top of the shock was attached with the through pin. Loosened the bolt, removed the through pin and the top of the shock slides right out of the frame brackets.

The bottom of the shock is fastened with small allen head bolts on either side of the frame brackets. I've removed both of the bolts but the shock's reducers are wedged tightly between the frame brackets and the bottom of the shock will not slide out from between the bottom frame brackets. It's like the brackets have bent together and need to be forced apart.

Anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions besides a BFH (big friggin hammer)?

Thanks

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link. I tried tapping on the loosened bolt heads and figured it was not a pin because nothing would move.

The pin and reducers had corroded themselves together. After dousing with Locktite, heating the bushings with a torch I was able to hammer the pin out with a drift punch.

FYI - I just noticed my front triangle has been damaged by tightening the front derailleur. It must have been overtightened and has caused the metal to fail. Nice. The frame is just under 3 years old and technically out of warranty, IF that is this would have been covered.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Blur 4X. The grease on the pin had somehow dried up and it was a pain to remove. Now I make sure to remove and re-grease everything periodically and it's kept my bike creak free.

If the damage to the seat tube is bad enough to warrant a new frame and you're the original owner, you can contact Santa Cruz and ask about their discounted "crash replacement" warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.