Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1988 Schwinn Sierra in really good shape for really cheap. Unfortunately it has the blue paint over chrome with pink decals.

There are a few chips in the blue paint that show chrome underneath. If I use a chemical pain stripper will it ruin the chrome? The paint's coming off one way or another but if I can salvage the chrome the bike would look really good.

·
Pipe Dreamer
6,619 Posts
That would be a lot of work with steel wool, especially in the welds.

I had a Haro Freestyler back in the late 80s, it was half paint over full chrome. I can't remember what I used, but I know it was a stripper of some kind. I'd think the chrome should be safe. Get one of those safe strip ones and test it on the bottom of a tube/bottom bracket.

·
well mannered lout
3,333 Posts
Aircraft stripper is pretty unpleasant to use. Oven cleaner is much easier to handle and should soften the paint.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
Paint stripper won't hurt chrome. It may leave a cloudy film over it, but that will wash off. Once the paint is removed, protect the chrome with masking tape before sanding/Scotch brite/steel wool.

·
well mannered lout
3,333 Posts
Agree, and I wasn't suggesting using it, it's just funny that it's called 'Aircraft Remover'. :)
I use a fine wire wheel on a low speed bench grinder for everything it will reach then brush chemical stripper to get the rest. I don't have a plane so no worries bout that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.