Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a while for me. I have had the same king headset on my Z-1 for 6 years. The last time I tried to remove a race was 1999. Any tips on removing the lower race from a steerer tube with or without the hammer and screwdriver method?

New fork is on the way. I am replacing the Z-1 with a reba.

thanks a million

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Mr Magoo said:
It has been a while for me. I have had the same king headset on my Z-1 for 6 years. The last time I tried to remove a race was 1999. Any tips on removing the lower race from a steerer tube with or without the hammer and screwdriver method?

New fork is on the way. I am replacing the Z-1 with a reba.

thanks a million
I like a punch/chisel type of tool better to tap off the race (or a piece of copper pipe). tapping lightly, work on opposite sides & maybe quarter turn & opposite side.
Does that Z1 have slots under the race on the crown to start prying it up? my pre-2k zokes do.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
You LBS should do it for $5 or if you know them well enough, just borrow their tool. The one listed above is too expensive for something you do so infrequently. The Park one is around $100 but I just went to the shop and gave one of the mechanics $10 to remove it and install it on my new fork.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts