Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Citrus degreaser works on glue goo too.

As far getting the actual badge off, if it's a thin sticker you might be able to heat it with a hairdryer and carefully pull it off. Most likely though you'll have to put up with it coming off slowly, in tiny little peices. So just have patience. If it's a metal badge I guess you just have to pry it off with something like a plastic knife.

Good luck.

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Thick dental floss and a heat gun

RetroG said:
Any advice on a clean, efficient way to remove it? It's glued on.
Hit it with a heat gun for about 60 sec. (careful of the paint) and run some dental floss behind it. That's how you get emblems off cars, too. This won't work with sticker head badges, just metal/plastic ones that are glued to the head tube.

aj

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Good epoxy

HJB said:
Hhhhmmm, I need to put one back on, wonder what kinda adhesive would work good for that?
Golf shafting epoxy might be a bit much. You'll want some dept. store brand. Just lightly scuff the surfaces and go for it. Use a 5 min. cure epoxy as it doesn't have to be durable.

·
Registered
359 Posts
mcseforsale said:
Golf shafting epoxy might be a bit much. You'll want some dept. store brand. Just lightly scuff the surfaces and go for it. Use a 5 min. cure epoxy as it doesn't have to be durable.
Cool, good info, thanks. I've got a friend who re-grips golf clubs, he'll have what I need.

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Actually...

HJB said:
Cool, good info, thanks. I've got a friend who re-grips golf clubs, he'll have what I need.
Grips aren't epoxied on. It's just a really TACKY double sided tape and the grip is applied with a bath of mineral spirits or some kind of bio-friendly fluid.

As for the golf epoxy...it's like 15000lb epoxy...about 3x what's in the dept. stores. Golf epoxy will lose it's bond at about 180degrees/f. That's a lot to ask of paint on a bike. I'm not sure about the 5000lb epoxy that comes from Home Depot, but sometimes you have to heat the golf heads pretty hot to have the bond break and some driver head paint starts to bubble before the bond is broken.

Building clubs is cool. I hate to love golf, though. Every course I play is full of jumps, good lines and great woods for trails.. :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
mcseforsale said:
Grips aren't epoxied on. It's just a really TACKY double sided tape and the grip is applied with a bath of mineral spirits or some kind of bio-friendly fluid.

As for the golf epoxy...it's like 15000lb epoxy...about 3x what's in the dept. stores. Golf epoxy will lose it's bond at about 180degrees/f. That's a lot to ask of paint on a bike. I'm not sure about the 5000lb epoxy that comes from Home Depot, but sometimes you have to heat the golf heads pretty hot to have the bond break and some driver head paint starts to bubble before the bond is broken.

Building clubs is cool. I hate to love golf, though. Every course I play is full of jumps, good lines and great woods for trails.. :D
Thanks, he does the shaft/head part too (that just don't sound right!) so I'm sure he can help. If not I'll get some hardware store stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts