Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I've had a Manitou Markhor 29 fork on my bike for a few months now and recently tried to do a general cleaning of the lowers, but can't get them off for some reason.
In accordance with this manual and every youtube guide i've come across, I followed these steps:
-depressurize
-rebound knob off
-rebound rod unscrewed
-compression bolt removed

...and the lowers come off about another 100mm past their regular full extension, then hit a hard stop. The next step listed in guides is always just 'remove the fork lowers' but honestly that's pretty frustrating cuz I can't figure out what's preventing the lowers from sliding off and I don't want to force it. By looking inside the lowers with a flashlight I can see there is nothing connecting the compression or damping rods to the lowers. Any ideas on what it may be, or is this normal and I'm missing something? Thanks if you can help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Fork is on the bike (i'm making do w/o a bike stand and it seemed easier since I can restrain the bike, but i can try it off). Wheel and brake is off the fork, it's not yanking on the brake hose if that's what you're thinking, though i wouldn't put that level of dumb past myself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If I had to guess then there is something on the bottom of the stanchion catching on one of the bushings. Give it a more firm pull, or a few gentle taps with a rubber mallet, dont go overboard.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
On Rockshox forks, you have to tap/strike the unscrewed bottom nuts to separate from the rods. I'm not suggesting you do that, but that manual has a kind of mysterious: "nsert an 8mm hex wrench into the end of the rebound damper rod and turn the rodclockwiseuntil it is disengaged from the casting and can be pushed into the casting. "

I wonder if that is a similar thing? Meaning some portion of the damper rod is friction/interference fit to the lower casting and has to be knocked or twisted loose?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if that is a similar thing? Meaning some portion of the damper rod is friction/interference fit to the lower casting and has to be knocked or twisted loose?
The damper rod is threaded into the hole in the casting, the end of it literally looks like a grub screw. Once you unscrew the rod from the casting it can be pushed back into the fork like the manual says.
That's a good idea though, i'll see if tapping the rods does anything after they've been disconnected from the casting.

Thanks for the tip shmity, i'll bust out the mallet tomorrow and report back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.