Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally going to get my "new" bike back today. It comes with a Fox DHX4.0 coil in the rear. The coil that's on there is a 800# and I can barely get the rear suspension to move. I had the LBS order a new 650# one (that's what Fox recommended).

The wrench has the new coil, but can't get the old one off due to it being a bit long. Basically in order to remove the spring clip, the coil needs to be compressed a little. The wrench said his last option was to cut the 800# coil with a dremel since he has been unsuccessful at being able to compress the spring enough to get the retainer clip off. I'd rather keep the 800# spring intact since I have to buy the new one.

I've never worked on a coil shock before, I'm thinking I can use 10 zip ties and slowly tighten them to release the pressure on the clip. Will that work? Any other ideas? He tried to bring it to an auto repair place, but the spring compressors they have are too large.

I was hoping to take this bike out for its maiden voyage tonight, any help appreciated.

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind, got it.

I got my bike and was able to get the washer/holder out by compressing the spring with two ratchet straps... all good.

John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts