Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These bolts are pretty big. Is it worth removing them and using say electrical tape to cover the holes?

Theses are the bolts I'm talking about

And un screwed here's what they are they have a washer as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
talk about weight weeny, if you're really worried about weight, get a titanium bike. taking out cage screws is like shaving your legs. if you're a rode racer it might make a difference, other wise, don't bother, also taking out the screws might let dirt get inside your frame and rattle around being annoying and possibly lead to corrosion

·
Registered
429 Posts
I never run cages and am on small frames that wouldn't fit a bottle if I wanted it...I just take 'em out and put a dab of silicone to plug the hole. But the nyloc bolt is a good idea too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Replace those bolts with Nylon bolts.If that bolt is a M5 x 20mm it will weigh right around 4.2 grams. The nylon in the same size will be .5 grams.
This is what I did because the only mounting point for a bottle cage on my i-drive 5 is the bottom of the down tube, which is a dumb spot, and I didn't want open holes where dirt/water could get inside the frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.