Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Bearings - Spider

I used a hammer and variuos sockets and extensions to remove, reinstall. Put the new bearings in the freezer for about 1 hour before installation. This makes them as small as possible. Lightly grease then, and tap them in. I also use variuos pieces/sizes of wood, to tap aginst.

Others have sugested using a piece of all-thread, bolts and washers to "screw" them in. I think next time this is the rought I will go for installation.

No bearing problems in approx. five months of riding since the originals were replaced.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
dirkfh said:
I used a hammer and variuos sockets and extensions to remove, reinstall. Put the new bearings in the freezer for about 1 hour before installation. This makes them as small as possible. Lightly grease then, and tap them in. I also use variuos pieces/sizes of wood, to tap aginst.

Others have sugested using a piece of all-thread, bolts and washers to "screw" them in. I think next time this is the rought I will go for installation.

No bearing problems in approx. five months of riding since the originals were replaced.
To remove the bearings I used a hammer and drift punch. Tap, tap, rotate 90 deg, tap, tap out!
I did the bolt/washers setup to repress my bearings, and it worked great. Make sure they go in as straight as possible. The freezer idea sounds GREAT, wish I thought of that before the press in. Probably would have made an easy job even easier.

·
Auto-x addict
281 Posts
sandan said:
To remove the bearings I used a hammer and drift punch. Tap, tap, rotate 90 deg, tap, tap out!
I did the bolt/washers setup to repress my bearings, and it worked great. Make sure they go in as straight as possible. The freezer idea sounds GREAT, wish I thought of that before the press in. Probably would have made an easy job even easier.
In case you ever need to install a bearing onto a press-fit shaft...put the bearing in the oven, on warm, for a couple of hours. It will drop right on!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts