Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pair of black M540 LX cranks off Ebay. They have signicant shoe rub scuffing.

I want to take off the annodized finish and have a smooth (not brushed) aluminum finish. I heard that over cleaner would work, but some say that it will weaken the aluminum...is this true? If it is, what are my alternatives: steel wool, power drill wire brush, sandpaper?

Anyone have any suggestions on some good techniques? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I did this last night, tried the most powerful paint stripper I could find...No luck! Used the oven cleaner for like 10min. washed off, repeated...WOW...it actually worked!! Crappy pic, great process with the easy off oven cleaner and steel wool!!:D

Attachments

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Easy-Off worked great for me. I destroyed these cranks shortly thereafter, but it was the painted spider that bent, not the crank arm. A second set I did this to is running strong.

Anodization does make for a hard, protective finish, but bare aluminum will generate an oxide layer that serves a similar (though not as hardy) protective function.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=130059

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.