Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curiuos how you go about removing a track cog? I can get the lock ring off, but not the cog. It's on a Paul hub and I used a bb lock ring to lock it on. I tried a chain whip, didn't work. I tried a hammer and file, didn't work, won't budge.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
323 Posts
My way

First you get yourself a tub of Cool-Whip and a red string...er wait thats for something else.

I use a bench vice...I know that sounds harsh but I have never ruined a cog. Just clamp the cog flat in the vice...tighten a bit to get some pressure (not too much, and you can use padded blocks if you wish) and turn, comes right off with little effort.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
hammer and file?

SSconny said:
Just curiuos how you go about removing a track cog? I can get the lock ring off, but not the cog. It's on a Paul hub and I used a bb lock ring to lock it on. I tried a chain whip, didn't work. I tried a hammer and file, didn't work, won't budge.

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE
I can't envision anything that's not really ugly that involves removal with a hammer and file.
Did you use loctite? If not, you should. BB lockring isn't a guarantee, as it's not reverse threaded like on a track cog. If you did, use a soldering iron to heat the track cog til the loctite sizzles, then use the chain whip. If you didn't, try some penetrating oil, then the chain whip.
Don't give up on the chain whip until you reef so hard you break the chain.
If you go the vise route, much better than wood blocks is a proper cog vise, which will not bugger up the teeth because that's what it's made for, holding toothed cogs in a vise.
Eat yer wheaties then try the chain whip again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts