Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Use locking pliers on a length of chain, and you can get the needed leverage. Alternatively, screw a length of chain to a short length of 2x4. Basically, the idea is to couple a lever with a length of chain, and you have replicated the concept of a chain whip.

686 Posts
Be a man and use your bare hands
If that hurts, how about getting something thick and rubbery to hold around it whilst you sort the lockring?
Or leave the chain on, and wedge the pedals against something so the chain, and cassette wont move?

·
XC Ground Pounder
408 Posts
In a pinch, I've clamped an old chain in a vice and it held the cassette enough to loosen the lockring.

It's not pretty, or easy, but it does work.

Alternatively, my friend did the homemade version, and took an old spanner and drilled a hole through it and pop riveted it together. It works brilliantly.

·
bikexor
229 Posts
Since we're just contributing ideas... I used an old piece of chain wrapped around an old crank+chainring. The arm was enough to give leverage. Later, I bought one of those "chain wrenches" from the hardware store. Cheaper than a bike-brand "chain whip" and exactly the same concept.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
My homemade tool is similar to Highdell's and I have had it for probably 20 years.
For the handle, I used a mending plate from a hardware store, which is just a flat piece of metal with screw holes already in it, which saves you from having to drill, like this:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/pop-print/larger-image.aspx?prodNo=79896

Then you take your piece of chain and attach it to the screw hole near the end using the chains own rivet and a chain tool. Simple.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
dell, thats so ghetto... i love it! :lol: im going to rip your idea off and make one later today!

you'll always run across an extra tight cassette. on my bike i frequently ride, holding the cassette with a rag works fine.. i needed the tool the very first time i removed it though.

·
Recreational Racer
98 Posts
I use a cheap strap wrench, the plastic kind with the rubber strap for oil filters, or an old piece of chain and vicegrips. wrap the cahin and clamp the vicegrips to both ends.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
My latest one was done up too tight so had to use the vice and an old piece of chain.
In the past the old piece of chain, one end around cassette the other wrapped around my foot worked pretty well!

·
Braaaapp!
477 Posts
In the past I've used an old t-shirt. Wrap it around the cassette about 2 times so it grips down on itself. Then take the end thats free and bring it out the the tire. Grip the shirt and tire in one hand, use your lockring tool with the other.

I've since made a homebrew whip with an old chain and some aluminum stock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.