Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...The morons who put my Jamis Dragon together (the factory) overtightened the plastic cap thingy that goes on the non-drive side. It is supposed to be hand tight....Anyway, the cranks have always dragged so I finally got around to trying to fix the issue. After loosening the pinch bolts, I cannot get the plastic cap out...!! I have two other XTR 2004-2005 cranksets on other bikes that I have taken on and off and they are threaded standard (CCW to remove). Using the tool Iplastic disk with teeth from Shimano) and pliers, I only managed to injure myself and destroy the tool (I have a couple more)....Any advice on getting this thing out without messing it up? Does Park make a tool for this? I did not see one in their product list...If there are no better tools, does anybody have an idea on how I can rig something up? By the way, the Dragon is leaning next to my Burner so thats how this finds itself on the Turner forum *grin*....Plus, Turner Homers know it all and respond to posts!! Thanks ahead of time...

Greyeye

·
Registered
363 Posts
Park does.

I don't know the nomenclature, but I seem to remember it ending in -9 maybe CT-9? I think it had a cup tool on one end and the insert tool (in metal) on the other. I'll czech around for the actual #.

Found it. Park tools BBT-9

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
If you can't find the tool or are unable to extract it when you do, just take a hacksaw blade and cut 2 slots into the plastic insert. Be careful as the blade approaches the threads obviously. Once you've got a piece cut just use a screwdriver and mallet to knock it out...

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Orangerider said:
I don't know the nomenclature, but I seem to remember it ending in -9 maybe CT-9? I think it had a cup tool on one end and the insert tool (in metal) on the other. I'll czech around for the actual #.

Found it. Park tools BBT-9
The end to remove the plastic insert is plastic too. It is just a plastic wheel that you spin by hand, it gives no added leverage.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Here's a trick...

Take a pair of scissors, push them as far in as they will go, hopefully they are wide enough to catch both sides of the cap, and then turn....

If not, get another pair of scissors, or shears, they are the best tool for that, even better than the park, because the park will come apart on overly tight caps. Trust me, mine has come apart 2-3 times.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trailadvent said:
The park tool your after is a BBT 9 one end for the bearing cups the other end uses the same little plastic disc except its attached to the handle end.

They may have used this tool to reinstall it in the first place as its easy to overtighten with this tool.

http://www.parktool.com/tools/BBT_9.shtml
My understanding was that the tool on the end of the BBT-9 is free turning and so therefore would not really allow any more leverage than the freebie tool. Is the crankset tool fixed in place on the end of the wrench? Thanks.

Greyeye

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
esquire said:
Take a pair of scissors, push them as far in as they will go, hopefully they are wide enough to catch both sides of the cap, and then turn....

If not, get another pair of scissors, or shears, they are the best tool for that, even better than the park, because the park will come apart on overly tight caps. Trust me, mine has come apart 2-3 times.
Nice tip....I will try that one tonight.....

Greyeye

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
A wild idea to try if, and only if, more sensible means fail: Get a blow-dryer and heat the cap up as much as you can w/o melting it (obviously). It may be better to blow on the outer face or from the other side so as not to soften the teeth where the tool grabs. Since it's nylon, perhaps a fair amt of heat will expand/soften the threads enought to help release it from the crank.

·