Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the thick spacer under the stem to lower the bars on my GF. I am gonna give it a ride and see what I think. I placed the spacer on top of the stem for now. If I leave it, what do I do with the extra steerer tube? Does it need to be cut, or is it more for asthetics?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,815 Posts
RobG said:
I removed the thick spacer under the stem to lower the bars on my GF. I am gonna give it a ride and see what I think. I placed the spacer on top of the stem for now. If I leave it, what do I do with the extra steerer tube? Does it need to be cut, or is it more for asthetics?

Thanks
As long as you didn't add or subtract spacers, or change to different thickness spacers, you can safely rearrange the stem/spacer placement as you wish. There would be no change in total height, so you don't have to do anything to the steerer.

·
Bionic Mtn Biker
222 Posts
RobG said:

Thanks
Rob,
Not sure which model bike you have, but I've also been experimenting w/ stem height lately. I have an 04 Marin Rocky Ridge hardtail and ride aggressive trail & recently started to get into dirt jumping. I find that a lower stem improves my XC/trail riding, but a higher position is ideal for DJs. Depending on the type of riding I'll be doing that day, I'll adjust accordingly. That means no cutting of the steerer tube for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.