Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you remove your own shock does it void your warranty? esp. if you don't get the shop to remove it. As you might have to do aircan service reguarly that means I will have to take the bike back to the shop quite often that's a round trip for me of 350miles $80 fuel costs + labour costs etc. etc. I know specialized has the best warranty, who removes their own shock? and ever had problems with warranty?

G

·
No, I had to send my shock in twice and the 2nd time I was upset that the shop wanted $40 to remove and replace the shock for me. Oh, and I had to pay them to ship the item to Specialized anyway ($20). I called specialized and asked if it mattered. I mentioned the bike shop ripping off their clients and I was told that it did NOT matter if I removed the rear shock myself. It should take you all of 5 minutes to take it off and 5 to slap it back on. I figure they stamped the tightening weights on the links for the average person to do the work themselves. DO NOT work on the shock or fiddle with it! They will just send it back to you or tell you what the new repair price will be since you took it upon yourself to crack it open. Hope this helps.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I wanted to hear-read... I specifically spent $90 on a norbar torque wrench and snap-on 6 sided sockets so I could do the maintenance in tightening the bolts to the right torque. I'm still aazed at how little pressure I needed to tighten around my carbon fibre stem bolts. Air sleeve maintenence and seal replacement is all I do to the shoch.

·
Registered
532 Posts
IF there was something wrong with the shock how is the shop ripping you off? Were they the manufacturer of that shock? Service dept. don't make a profit, how are they going to do work for free. Now if you took it to a Fox store and they charged you I could understand. If you feel ripped off you should address it with Specialized. The shop is just doing thier job.

G

·
If you think that $40 is a sweet deal for taking off and putting back on 2 or 3 bolts for a customer, then you probably don't get much business. It takes the same amount of time to remove a stem from the fork tube and then put it back on. Would you pay to have something that simple done? Yeah, you would feel ripped off too. It's only 40 buck, but yeah it's 40 bucks.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me it's hypothetical, I'm positive they wouldnt charge me for it, but the fuel costs and my half a day used up is too expensive, although there are dealers closer to me im sure they would charge, why shouldnt they they need to recoup the labour costs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.