Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm an idiot.

I bought a seatpost that's 1 size too big and forced it 3 inches into my budget-lite frame.

I though it was the right size and thought the fit was going to be just a little tight.

Nope. It's definitely too big. S#$%!

Now it's seized in the frame and I cannot remove it. The frame's not damaged, and I'll get the right sized seat post. BUT, how do I get it out???!!!

HELP!

:confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lol...I'me sorry for laughing, umm well I cant really think of much else other than spraying in some penetrating oil (WD-40) only ask the clerk if theres something better WD-40 kinda sucks Lloyds penatrating oil I think its called, that may do the trick, squirt some of that on 'er, let it sit for a few minutes and giver another tug.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
access to a vise?

If you have access to a vise, just clamp the post in the vice, and use the frame as a lever to get the post out.

You may also look for a BIG pipe wrench. I have a set that is like 18-20" long, so clamping on to the head of a seatpost is cake.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Not sure about your analysis that you haven't damaged the frame until you get it out, but in addition to penetrating oil I can suggest trying to use your seat mounted on the post (if you're not already) and get some leverage to help...but if you like your current seat be careful not to pull it off its rails in the process. Depending on frame/seat post materials involved, you might get heat/cold application to help you out as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think you will probably need to scrap the seat post and take a pipe wrench to it. I had a similar issue a number of years ago with a proper sized seat post that seized into my Yo Eddy.

I was sending the frame back to Fat Chance anyway for a frame repair and I asked them to extract the post (preferably without damaging the post). They initially thought they could do it but after several hours with 2 people in their shop cranking on the frame and the seat post with every type of liquid wrench and lubricants to-boot; they finally took 2 pipe wrenches to it simultaneously and managed to crank it out.

I'm pretty sure that if you forced an incorrect sized post 3" into the frame, you are in for a similar experience.

Good luck!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Forgot to ask, did it really seize, i.e. did it gall from an extended period of time after installation, or did you realize what happened after you got it in 3"?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it out!

The WD-40 and using the seat as a lever worked.

What happened is I bought a seatpost that was 1 size too big... but I thought it was right and jammed the seatpost in there real hard about 3 inches in.

I gotta slow down on the Wild Turkey... it makes me a little crazy and overzealous. :D

Thanks for your ideas. Now it's time to buy a new seatpost...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.