Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Stopped by REI today, they have about 10 A1s mips. Looked at 5 of the manufacture dates and they were either from August 2018 or November 2018.

Decided today after retrying the mips that there would be no need to consider removing it. It's plenty comfortable even with it. One of the most comfortable helmets I've ever tried, but the non mips just seems to fit a tad....more perfect, for lack of a better term. I think it's just snugger because it doesn't have that sliding shell.

Even though I just bought a new helmet, I don't think I can pass up the TLD with mips for $50. Most importantly is it's a different color than my current helmet so I'll have fashion choices, cuz it's all about the fashion.

I usually replace my helmet when I can't handle the funk anymore. I just check the manufacture date on the Prevail and it said May 2011. I think I bought it towards the end of the year when Specialized does blowouts on the IBD site. I don't see a need to really replace it.

I went and checked all my MTB helmets (three of them)...one is 2015 and other is 2012. I can't find the date on my full face without pulling out all the padding...but I got that warrantied through Kali maybe two or three years ago. That was a fairly expensive helmet that sees little use. There is no way I'm going to ditch it after three years. All my MTB helmets are from Kali. They have some kind of crash replacement on their helmets. They'll send you a new replacement if you happen to crash yours.

Stopped by REI today, they have about 10 A1s mips. Looked at 5 of the manufacture dates and they were either from August 2018 or November 2018.

Decided today after retrying the mips that there would be no need to consider removing it. It's plenty comfortable even with it. One of the most comfortable helmets I've ever tried, but the non mips just seems to fit a tad....more perfect, for lack of a better term. I think it's just snugger because it doesn't have that sliding shell.

Even though I just bought a new helmet, I don't think I can pass up the TLD with mips for $50. Most importantly is it's a different color than my current helmet so I'll have fashion choices, cuz it's all about the fashion.
As long as the helmet is comfortable...that is the most important part. The Mips shouldn't affect the overall fit of the helmet. It just makes the outside a bit larger...since its a layer between the foam and the shell.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
As long as the helmet is comfortable...that is the most important part. The Mips shouldn't affect the overall fit of the helmet. It just makes the outside a bit larger...since its a layer between the foam and the shell.
Agreed.

My Kali Maya 2.0 I have now is super comfortable but I have a few things I don't like about it since I've had it a few months now. one is the retention system, it's a dual slider type deal and it's very hard to get both sides to move, usually only one tightens up so that's a bit frustrating. The second thing is it has a full-pad running across the front which really just acts as a sweat drip system. The A1 is set up a little differently in regards to the forehead padding so I'm hoping it doesn't gush as much. My old helmet never dropped sweat in my eyes but to be fair it was so old the padding probably didn't absorb anything.

Agreed.

My Kali Maya 2.0 I have now is super comfortable but I have a few things I don't like about it since I've had it a few months now. one is the retention system, it's a dual slider type deal and it's very hard to get both sides to move, usually only one tightens up so that's a bit frustrating. The second thing is it has a full-pad running across the front which really just acts as a sweat drip system. The A1 is set up a little differently in regards to the forehead padding so I'm hoping it doesn't gush as much. My old helmet never dropped sweat in my eyes but to be fair it was so old the padding probably didn't absorb anything.
I have a V1 Maya. I do agree about the sliders on the helmet. Most of the time only one side would move. I wish they would switch to a dial type of retention adjustment. I also have a Maraka XC...with the same ratchet adjustment. I deal with the adjusters because the helmet fits my head pretty good.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.