Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a front disc brake coming in the mail tommrow, and it will require taking the grips off in order to get the old brake lever off. What's the most painless way to get the grips off without tearing them up. They are stock grips on a 05 Stumpjumper FSR.

Note: I will be buying a rear disc brake next month along with new grips, but the current stock grips need to stay intact to keep riding until I get the rest next month.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The way shop's do it is to use a compressor and blow air under them. Shop should do that no charge for you as it's a 20 second job.
At home I'd use hair spray. just pull the inside edge of the grip up, spray it in and work it around. You can do this ro reinstall as well (use sparingly on install). The grips will slide around for a day or two but then the hair spray will dry up and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
gradster said:
I've got a front disc brake coming in the mail tommrow, and it will require taking the grips off in order to get the old brake lever off. What's the most painless way to get the grips off without tearing them up.
I have a blowing attachment for my air compressor that I occasionally use for cleaning dust off of parts. Inserting that attachment under the grip and then inflating, will cause the grip to slide off, intact, with almost no effort at all. (I read about this trick in a past post in this forum.)

·
Registered
159 Posts
What i do is i put some rubbing alcohol under the sides of the grips and they twist off. I do the same thing to put it back on. The grips will slip for a couple of days when you do this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What I do is use the straw yoke that comes with WD40 and spray that sparingly under the grips and they slide off nae bother andf then just wipe off the excess...to put them back on you don't need to do anything as there should be enough of the spray left to slide them on...I had no problem with them twisting on my next spin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts